brit nappy ?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brit nappy ?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nappy

Why I’m treating college as a new chapter of life (even if it is from home)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

As I stand there looking at myself in the mirror this first semester, I think I have changed so much. This is no longer a high school, and there is an opportunity to use all the hard work I did on myself since March. But is college going to be the same as high school? It seems almost impossible to come to a conclusion when the social interaction aspect is minimal. This semester is most definitely not expected, but there is still the option to go in with no judgments. A possibility to start fresh. 

Most activities such as clubs, career fairs, rushing for sororities/fraternities, and even just laid back events to meet other students are all still happening through zoom. It can be nerve-wracking to talk to someone over a computer screen before even meeting in person. Being on campus for my first semester would have been ideal. Still, at least now when we have the opportunity to live on-campus, there will be some familiar faces.

It is also important to remember that a majority of freshmen are also in the same boat. Everyone is struggling to make connections when there are much fewer chances to build a lasting link. Five minutes in a breakout room is just not enough. Many of the students have been very open-minded and kind. They are open to meeting new people and groups on Snapchat, group me, and other platforms to create the low-pressure environment necessary to build connections. 

Some other strategies for embracing new beginnings include: 

Leaving behind the past

Don’t let negative people and events that have affected you in the past dictate the future. This may be easier said than done because it can be challenging to stop overthinking every small interaction. A simple method to get past the overthinking is to take a moment to reflect, and then move on. Freshman: We all just started college! Something a lot of us have worked towards for a long time. Forget about the negativity and the less than perfect virtual semester. We will all eventually be on campus together, and building community and togetherness starts now. 

neon quote saying "go up and never stop" on a black background with an arrow underneath the words
Photo by Fab Lentz from Unsplash

Do something spontaneous and go with the flow (Take risks!)

Let’s face it. For many of us, quarantine was something not in our control, so many of us searched for things that we could control. I have rearranged my room an excessive amount of times and even dyed my hair pink (it barely showed up lol). In college, this may look a little different. It may just be talking to someone you never imagined becoming friends with. Or even joining a club that is way out of your comfort zone. For me, it was as small as just speaking up in class or being the one to break the ice in a breakout room. I probably never would have done that in person. I have found that the best things and people are often found in the most unexpected of places. We must remember to continue to do things that make us happy.

I’m going to now take my own advice and work on stepping out of my comfort zone.

Harneet Kaur

U Mass Amherst '24

Harneet Kaur is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in marketing in the Isenberg School of Management. She is extremely excited to be writing for Her Campus and thinks it's a great way to kick off her time at UMass. Along with writing, she enjoys listening to music, walking her dog, and playing the guitar in her free time.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst