Culture > Digital

Why I’m Hooked on Emma Chamberlain’s Podcast “Anything Goes”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’ve been a fan of Emma Chamberlain for nearly as long as I’ve been using YouTube. Seeing her videos evolve as she’s grown and changed has been amazing, and her fans have been growing and changing too. Through the many phases of Emma’s YouTube channel, it’s clear why so many people enjoy her content; she’s funny, entertaining, and successful, but she’s also managed to keep her feet on solid ground as she skyrocketed to fame.

After reading all this, you might be surprised to learn that I didn’t start listening to Emma’s podcast, Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain, until the end of 2021, nearly two years after the first episode was released. At the time I wasn’t really into podcasts at all, and I figured that there wouldn’t be anything on the podcast that I couldn’t find on YouTube. After all, how much can one person say before it gets repetitive or uninteresting?

I ended up finally listening to the podcast because of something Emma said about it in a YouTube video. She mentioned that she had recently recorded an episode about getting out of a slump, which was something I was struggling with at the time. I decided that it couldn’t hurt to give it a listen, so I turned the episode on during my walk to class. My expectations were blown out of the water as I listened to Emma open up about what she was dealing with, explain how she got through it, and give advice on how listeners could get back on track after a low period. 

Emma’s one-woman discussion was so insightful, realistic, and grounding while also being enjoyable to listen to, so I was instantly hooked. Since then, I’ve been catching up on old episodes and anticipating new ones; some of my favorites so far that I highly recommend are “getting back on track,” “my spiritual journey,” “the feminine mold,” and “trendy vs timeless.” I feel like the time I spend listening to the podcast is instantly made more valuable because I often end up self-reflecting and learning more about myself while doing so.

I also love the variety of Emma’s podcast. Of course, I love her insightful podcasts about deep life issues that really make me think afterwards, but I also love the episodes where she talks about fashion, relationships, or anything else that’s been on her mind. Sometimes I’m in the mood to discover something new about myself, but sometimes I just want to hear about the latest fashion trends. I think there’s a really good mix of this on the podcast, which makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

Trust me – Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain is more than just your run-of-the-mill YouTuber podcast. If you give it a try (which you definitely should), I truly think that you’ll gain more from listening to it than just entertainment value. There’s an episode out there for everyone, and Emma’s signature humor combined with stories, advice, and reflection just isn’t something you want to miss. So, that’s why I’m hooked on Emma Chamberlain’s podcast — and why you will be too!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily Day

U Mass Amherst '24

Emily is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Business Management and Communication and pursuing a minor in Spanish. In her free time, she can be found hanging out with friends, dancing on the UMass Tap Team, or reading a new book.