This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For some reason when high school ended, my friends and I were under the impression that we would never see each other again. Going to separate colleges felt like a never-ending separation that would ruin our strong bond. Thankfully, after a few semesters, I realized that this couldn’t have been further from the truth. Having friends at different colleges creates a reason to visit different parts of the U.S. and experience different types of college life. Every school has its own traditions and experiences, which are fun to try out when you want to switch it up. The most exciting part for me is getting to see my friends thrive in a new environment as a new version of themselves. Everyone changes in college, molding a new friend group and gaining new hobbies. I’ve loved observing my friends in their new homes and meeting the friends that support them along the way. 

I went to high school in Massachusetts, and most of my friends stayed pretty local in Massachusetts and Connecticut. Even schools close to home, like Boston College, can be fun because you get to explore familiar cities through a new lens. One super fun experience was watching the Boston Marathon from Boston College. They get up early, dress in crazy clothes, and cheer on the runners at mile twenty-one. Although I have watched the marathon with my family many times, this was a completely different experience and I was lucky to have a friend at BC to show me the ropes. 

Something UMass lacks that I’ve been able to experience at my friend’s schools is a good football team. Borrowing their school gear and stepping into their school’s spirit is so fun for a weekend. This past fall, we planned a trip to Madison, Wisconsin where my friend goes to school. Their football scene was unlike anything I have ever experienced on the East Coast. Although I wouldn’t necessarily want to go to school in Wisconsin myself, this weekend was so much fun. My Wisconsin friend is also involved in Greek life, which is something I am relatively unfamiliar with. Seeing her big sorority house and getting a glimpse into that lifestyle was cool too. 

Through these visits, something comforting that I’ve discovered is how many nice people there are out there. The group of friends I made in my hometown split off to new places and created a group of like-minded, kind people. All of those people have their own group of friends from their hometowns and the pattern continues. I’m not saying that moving to a new place and meeting hundreds of new people is easy, but it is comforting that no matter where you go, you will find people with the same values, interests, and lifestyles as you. 

College is such a great time for exploration, adventure, and fun. It can be hard to plan, but make an effort to visit friends and experience a slice of their college life. A free place to sleep and a weekend of fun…what more could you want!? The high school senior version of myself would be pleased to know that college didn’t end my hometown friendships, it only made them stronger. I can’t wait to see what friendships we create together in the next chapter of life!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Jessica Shay

U Mass Amherst '23

Jessica Shay is a junior at UMass Amherst and this is her third semester writing for HerCampus. She loves working with kids and plans to become a teacher. When she's not in class, you can find her reading, baking, or teaching spin classes at the Rec Center.