This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

clipart of a Zoom call
Photo by mmi9 on Pixabay
I just knew I had to write this article. It’s something that’s been on my mind since the day I started college.

If you don’t know what the ‘popcorn’ activity is, it’s an activity professors use to get everyone to talk in a class. The first person could give an intro of themselves and popcorn (pass it on) to the next person.

Now this isn’t a bad activity at all, but it’s not the best one. I say this because of my name.

I thought shortening my 8-letter name to 4 letters would be easy, but, of course, I was wrong. I understand why people can’t pronounce it, but I wish I didn’t have to be reminded of that every Zoom meeting I attend.

There are three scenarios that always end up happening: someone probably pronounces my name wrong (which again, I understand) or I end up being the last person to speak OR I never end up giving my intro because the host thinks everyone’s spoken. And honestly, I understand why this happens, because I would never want to pronounce someone’s name wrongly. Thus, unconsciously, I would end up popcorning it to the name I can actually pronounce, but since it happens every time, I constantly have to think of it.

I think there are many other ways a professor could use to increase engagement in classes, but this particular activity just constantly has me looking like:

Annoyed Gif
Giphy

Fayo is a sophomore at UMass Amherst and double majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Psychology. Fayo enjoys writing about anything and everything but mostly about the most random things. Fayo believes in not explaining what she writes as she writes in the spur of the moment and she believes every piece of hers should be read with a pinch of salt. **Mum & Dad**
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst