This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So many people love the Halloween holiday. I was one of those people always excited to dress up and go out with my friends. However, Halloween doesn’t seem to like me back.

Sophomore year of college, I had all my costumes picked out and was ready for the holiday. I was so excited to take pictures and post my outfits. Even if I couldn’t go out due to COVID, I still wanted some good pictures. My roommates and I were ready to get all dressed up since we were living together and the only ones we could see. The week before, I realized I was feeling sick. My nose was stuffy and it was difficult to smell. I went to get tested, unsure where it could have come from. When it came back, it was positive. I knew it was important to leave as soon as possible. To keep my roommates safe, my best option would be to go there. That week I spent sleeping a lot. When it came to Halloween, we all decided to dress up and drink tea together before spending the rest of the night watching movies.

Milk Honey Undercover Shoes?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

This year only got better. I had a couple’s costumes picked out the previous year, but couldn’t wear it because I had COVID. I was so excited to try again with the costumes this year and go all out. I had my outfits weeks before all put together. Then came Thursday, obviously the start of Halloweekend. I went out like Britney Spears in her schoolgirl outfit. I had borrowed one of my friend’s small heels with barely any lift. Well, the lift mattered. During the night, while moving out of the way for people to get by, I twisted my ankle. You may think that this was no big deal, but as it turns out, I fractured my fibula. Super unfortunate. I went to urgent care the next morning and got a super heavy cast put on my leg for the weekend. So my couples costume, which was supposed to be worn the day I got the cast, ended up not being the best. The rest of the weekend I had to crutch around.

To this day, I am still in a boot, and it is a struggle. However, I have decided Halloween will never be my holiday again. No matter how hard I try, Halloween always fights back harder and stronger. Next year I’ll probably end up going out in a onesie and calling it a day. If nothing else happens before…

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sydney Dion

U Mass Amherst '23

Communication Disorders Major