This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Floorcest. Before arriving at UMass on my first day of college, I had never even heard of the term before (just like most college freshmen). Little did I know, “floorcest” would become a big part of my experience here. For those of you who are still confused about exactly what it means, it is a word for defining a relationship between two people who live on the same residential floor. Yes, this does seem potentially problematic, but I promise that there are many benefits of committing floorcest

1. Not having to walk far to hang out
We all know that taking the 10-15-minute trek to class every day can be a struggle, so coming home after a long day means having no motivation to walk that far again. When your boyfriend/girlfriend is a few doors down, it only takes a few steps to have study sessions or watch Netflix (with or without the “chill”).

2. Having two rooms
When your roommate has their own company in your room or is simply in need of some alone time, there is always a place to go. You won’t be forced to awkwardly wait in the study lounge or find someone in another dorm. Even if you just need a change of scenery from the inspirational cat poster on your wall, there’s always your significant other’s room. 

3. There’s always someone there
Whether you need someone to help you study for your next exam or just a shoulder to cry on, there’s always someone just down the hall. Because your S.O. is there to care for and respect you, having them on your floor is super beneficial. When I was struck with the campus’ latest sickness, my boyfriend was able to stay with me for hours while I felt miserable without the guilt of him having to walk home. 

4. Becoming comfortable with your friends
Chances are when your friends are hanging out in your room, they’re likely to come across your “floorcest” partner a lot. When this happens, your S.O. will become comfortable with your friend group and may even be able to join in on the fun. Your friends will see why you adore them, and you’ll hopefully get approval much quicker. 

5. Getting to see every part of them
When you’re dating someone normally, you most likely won’t see them as much as a person on your floor. Dating someone on your floor means seeing them in their morning PJ’s, watching their face light up every Sunday when their favorite team scores, and being there for them at their worst. When you commit floorcest, you get to know your S.O. faster and with much more depth.

Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lauren Crociati

U Mass Amherst

Journalism major, alternative music enthusiast, lover of life, lover of food. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst