Career > Her20s

Why Everyone Should Listen to This ‘Call Her Daddy’ Episode

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I usually throw on a Call Her Daddy (CHD) podcast episode when I’m in the mood to laugh or learn random insights about relationships and… well… sex! (Sorry Grandma.) I don’t recommend that you gain all, or even a large fraction, of your knowledge on these topics from this podcast. The host, Alex Cooper, spits out satirical advice for us ladies, but its nothing that should be taken too seriously. All jokes aside, one of her recent episodes titled “I Got Caught Photoshopping” is a must listen for everyone. 

Alex Cooper was caught red handed. A few weeks ago, a TikTok of an unedited and photoshopped pictures, side-by-side, of Cooper went viral. This TikTok was followed by a stream of hate toward the CHD host. Though she explained in the episode that she’s used to nasty remarks, the influx of hate pushed her to turn off the comment section on her Instagram. I wasn’t sure how Alex could defend herself here. While she had been open about how she touched up her photos in the past, she also expressed regularly on her podcast that we should be body confident. How can someone preach about body positivity and confidence if they’re not even comfortable posting what their body actually looks like? Cooper became part of the reason that women have unrealistic body standards: the bodies we were comparing ourselves to didn’t actually exist. 

Rather than lecture us for 45 minutes about how she didn’t deserve the backlash, she fully owned up to her mistake and delved into the toxicity of social media and the promotion of unrealistic body standards. Cooper told the story about the genesis of her biggest insecurity, and I totally related to her experience. She remembered the day, what she was wearing, and where she was when a group of boys made fun of her thin legs. I can recall exactly what I was wearing, who I was next to, and where I was standing when a boy made a comment towards me about my body. I was in middle school, and his remark is still my biggest insecurity to this day. 

Cooper explained that even those who seem the most carefree about what they post still enhance their photos with filters and editing apps. Everyone does it, it’s just become a matter of how well you can get away with it. The host then brought on speaker and social psychologist, Dr. Jean Twenge, whose research focuses on the influence of social media in our lives. She explained that Facebook and Instagram have conducted research to prove that their algorithms negatively affect young women’s mental health and body image. Yet, they have only been making their apps more addictive. 

I feel very lucky that I’m not an influencer. I can delete every social media app from my phone and not worry about the status of my career or income. Cooper urges everyone who doesn’t make money from the internet to simply get off of it. If you’re like me and you’re not exactly ready to hit delete, try limiting your time on social media or downloading apps that will literally cut you off after a certain amount of time. 

Lastly, we need to stop comparing ourselves to the images we see online. There is a slim chance that whoever you’re comparing yourself to captured the shot that they posted on their first try. They probably shuffled through dozens of poses and found the “perfect” one. While I love to take care of my body through exercise and healthy eating, it’s important to remember that our bodies are the least interesting thing about us. Our hobbies, passions, and how we treat others are what make us beautiful. Our worth is not derived from likes and comments. 

The next time you’re sifting through Instagram, remember that the app is trying to keep you on as long as possible. Take back control. We are constantly swiping through an echo chamber of editing and highlight reels. (I even warn people on my Instagram that they’re only seeing my highlight reel.)

Go outside, journal, read, and remind yourself that you are enough. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Caroline Roscoe

U Mass Amherst '23

Caroline is a contributing writer for the University of Massachusetts Amherst where she is currently a Junior studying communications and journalism on the public relations track with minors in business and Spanish. In her spare time, Caroline loves to go on long walks with her dog Daisy and spend time with her friends in Amherst!