Career > Work

Why Everyone Should Have Experience at a Part-Time Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ever since I was a sophomore in high school, I have always had a part-time job. I worked during the summer at an ice cream shop and then I decided to leave and work at a company called Blaze Pizza, where I am now a shift leader. Working while studying seems like a total drag, especially after attending classes for over eight hours a day. The last thing I ever thought I would want to do is commit myself to a four-hour shift, but there are many benefits of working at a part-time job as a student. From making some extra money on the side, to gaining valuable work experience, here’s why you should consider taking on part-time work.

Blaze Pizza

A part-time job can help you gain skills that a university or college degree won’t teach you. A lot of people in our day of age tend to lack time management skills such as showing up on time to a commitment. If you’re scheduled to work, you are expected to be there on time, or even more likely, five minutes beforehand. And let me tell you, the real world isn’t so nice. If you aren’t there, you could easily get let go in a matter of minutes. Learning that people depend on you just as much as your sports team depends on you for practice is something that a lot of people tend to recognize after getting a job.

By working in a fast-paced environment, you will learn how to work as part of a team or on your own, as well as how to use your initiative and develop considerable attention to detail, all of which are valuable skills that can be carried across different jobs and in all aspects of life. Having a part-time job will not only give you an understanding of the work environment and what employers expect of their workers, but you’ll have an increased sense of self-understanding, maturity, independence, and self-confidence.

You’ll naturally bond with some colleagues and will end up spending time with them outside of the workplace. When I started at Blaze, there was one girl I was friends with from school, and as of today, she is both my co-worker and best friend. Working at any job you’ll be surrounded by generally the same people, so you’re better off being in good standing with them and finding common interests rather than isolating yourself. Putting yourself in an environment where everyone builds you up and wants you to succeed could have nothing but a positive impact on your life moving forward. It’s just a plus that every day I go in I get to spend the next six hours with my closest friend. 

A server is ready to take an order, holding a notepad.

In sophomore year, when my mom told me and my brother that she was going to stop funding trivial activities for us such as getting coffee, eating out with friends, or buying clothes, the absolute last thing I wanted to do was find a job. Looking back, I wouldn’t change one thing about where I ended up. A lot of people call me crazy for loving a part-time job so much, but I think it’s just because they haven’t found the team and support system that I have at mine. Go out there and get some spending money, what’s the worst that could happen?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Maura Maguire

U Mass Amherst '24

Maura is a Writer for the University of Massachusetts Amherst Chapter. She is a Sophomore majoring in Kinesiology on the Pre-Medicine Track. When she's not writing articles (or dreaming about being at the beach, buying another pair of converse or eating lemon bars), Maura enjoys running distances or working out.