This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

They say that a good start to your day is important for your health. Some people kick start their day with exercise. I do it with makeup.

What I like most about makeup is that it is often misunderstood. Some people think that others wear it to hide their true colors. Others believe that people wear it to somehow stealthily pretend like they have an unblemished face. The way I see it? Cosmetics help you be the best you that you can be.

One of the co-founders of Too Faced Cosmetics named Jerrod Blandino words this idea wonderfully: “Makeup is so much more than a little color on a woman’s face—it is an instant mood booster, a best friend, a powerful ally and a personal set of lady balls.” Yes.

To be honest, nothing makes me feel better than putting on my makeup in the morning before class. My eye shadow palette is definitely my “instant mood booster.” I bought myself my first and only one about a month ago and it was one of my best investments. I bought two of my best girlfriends the Naked 3 palettes for Christmas about two months ago and the pink colors look absolutely gorgeous on them. I thought it was so cool that the Naked 3 gave them so many different looks. I had to have a palette myself!

So, which eye shadow palette is the best?

Obviously, I am in love with Too Faced. They never test on animals or cut off their hairs to make brushes. Instead, they use natural ingredients like cocoa powder in bronzers and eye shadow to sooth skin and smell wonderful. The teddy bear hair makeup brushes combined with the Chocolate Bar Palette are great quality. It is all worth the splurge if you would use it every day for both class and out on the weekends like I do. There are gorgeous matte browns named milk chocolate, salted caramel, and semi-sweet for simple looks. The natural matte pink named strawberry bon bon for eyelids looks fabulous paired with those matte browns.

So, be happy and enjoy the little things in life, like making your face an art project for the childish side in everyone. Go out and buy a palette, or don’t. Either way, it is fun to wear cosmetics every day. And it is fun to not. I like the way Jerrod Blandino from Too Faced always says, “own your pretty.”

Also, if you are going to buy the Chocolate Bar Palette and/or the brushes, I recommend buying them from the Too Faced website. If you do not already have an account, you can sign up for free and get a 20% off your first order!

Grace Olivia Brown

U Mass Amherst

Grace is from Lincoln, Massachusetts and beyond excited to be a part of UMass Amherst's chapter of Her Campus. As a senior, she is majoring in psychology with a letter of specialization in social welfare/social work and a letter of specializtion in developmental disabilities and human services. When she is not writing for Her Campus, she is probably joking around with her friends, shamelessly listening to Ariana Grande, or browsing the Benefit and Tarte sections of the Sephora website.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst