Why Emma chamberlain does self-care right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Have you ever listened to someone say something and thought: “I have never related to something more in my life?” When I first listened to Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain, that’s exactly how I felt. And of course: I was immediately hooked. There was finally somebody famous around my age who just talked about their takes on life. Listening to this podcast did wonders for my ‘healing girl summer’ and helped me be my best self during the fall semester. 

Her Thoughts On School

“If you get no homework one day because you just mentally can’t do it…and you maybe even get an F, so be it! If you just couldn’t do it, then you just couldn’t do it.”

This quote is from the episode “the pressure to overachieve” and is inspirational because so many students define their self-worth based on their grades and by comparing themselves to their peers. Many of us have been taught at a young age to do the most and are made to think that we are never doing enough. This can be motivating but can also lead to high-functioning anxiety and listening to Emma talk about school made me realize that grades and school are not the only things that will matter throughout your life and there is a whole world outside of school and homework.

Being too Hard on Yourself

“The worst thing that you can do for yourself is convince yourself that this is something that’s your fault,or it’s because you’re not attractive enough, or whatever. That’s the worst thing you can do because it’s so incredibly not true.”

In the episode, “advice session #11” Emma she shares her own life experiences because they help to better understand the advice she is giving and relate to it in my own personal life. Unfortunately, many girls of all ages believe they have to constantly look for male validation. However, in the episode, Emma says: “you are beautiful on the inside and out.” The person who asked this question was in high school and Emma explained how dating in high school will actually not matter in the long run.

Talking about friendships

“I think part of being a people pleaser is partially being a little bit insecure about your relationship with the people around you. I think that if you feel like your relationship with somebody is on thin ice or you feel like they can ditch you any day, then you’re gonna, you’re more likely to be a people pleaser.” 

This quote is from the episode “advice session #1” where she gives advice on friendships. We all have experienced crappy friendships where we feel like we are putting more work into the friendship then the other person. This can be mentally draining and it’s important to reevaluate whether it is worth putting in the time to maintain that friendship. She explains how hanging out with those you care about “is never a waste of time” but it is “not uplifting” to be with those people who you may feel drained hanging out with because you feel like they can just ditch you for a different friend the next day. There will always be people open to being your friend and I promise you will find those who will be at your level and 100% match your vibe. 

Her Thoughts On Social Situations

“I’m physically and mentally exhausted from being social, even if it’s just for a few hours. I get exhausted so quickly.”

Emma describes in the episode “things feel weird rn” how it was difficult to reenter the social scene after the pandemic. Although the pandemic is not really as prominent as it was in 2020, a lot of what she talks about can still relate to any anxiety that may occur around social situations. When you are being social for a long period of time, it is normal to feel like you need a break or just some alone time watching TV in order to recharge. Additionally, we change throughout our life and it is normal to want to change what type of people you hangout with or who it is you feel the most ‘social’ around. 

If you are in search of guidance for literally any topic, look no further and listen to an episode of Emma’s podcast. And yes, she does warn many times that she is not a medical professional, but I have still found her discussions to be extremely helpful.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Harneet Kaur

U Mass Amherst '24

Harneet Kaur is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in marketing in the Isenberg School of Management. She is extremely excited to be writing for Her Campus and thinks it's a great way to kick off her time at UMass. Along with writing, she enjoys listening to music, walking her dog, and playing the guitar in her free time.