Why Deadpool Should Be Your (Slightly Problematic) Fave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With the new Deadpool movie coming out recently, it’s necessary to take a look at the world’s favorite anti-hero. There are so many things to love (and probably hate) about him. Even though he’s not “technically” a superhero, there are so many reasons why he should be your favorite. 

1. His humor

Deadpool has an interesting sense of humor. Sometimes it’s full of puns and super silly, and other times it’s total self deprecating jokes. You never know what you’re going get, but it’s almost a guarantee that you’ll be laughing, no matter how low-brow his jokes are. 

2. He’s pansexual

And he’s super comfortable with his sexuality

3. He’s not an actual superhero

Like I said before, he’s an anti-hero, and he makes it clear. He fits right into the “bad guy turns good” trope. The only thing is that it’s debatable whether or not Deadpool actually turned good. A lot of his motivations are really selfish and not heroic at all (he spends a whole movie trying to fight the villain so that he can make him look attractive again- not so heroic). Even with that though, he’s not a bad person. Even though he doesn’t show it all that much, he actually has a heart of gold. 

4. His constant need to break the fourth wall

It happens all the time, and it just gets better and better. 

5. He’s human

Heroes are always made out to be the perfect people. They tend to overcome their flaws, and they always are well-liked. They rarely seem to be like normal people, and their stories revolve around them saving the world or doing great things. Deadpool, although he does do a lot of saving and fighting violence- also has a lot of flaws. His decisions aren’t always for the greater good, which makes him seem more like a real person. Even if we try to always do what’s best, it doesn’t necessarily happen all the time. 

6. He likes Hello Kitty

I mean, there is no other type of backpack I’d want to carry all my weapons around in. 

Source: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst