Why College Students Should Be More Politically Active

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I think there’s a lot of reasons why college students aren’t politically active. Some students think politics don’t affect them. It does. Some think it’s enough to simply vote for the President. It’s not. And some are fully aware of politics and political issues, but just don’t care strongly enough. Well, if you’re in the third group, then, there’s not much I can say to convince you, is there?

So how about the first group? You think political issues don’t have anything to do with you? Guess again. Let’s start with the economy. I know, so boring, right? Let me ask you something: do you want a job when you graduate? One that doesn’t involve folding clothes or asking people if they want fries with that? Do you know how many jobs are available in your field of interest? Jobs are still pretty hard to find, especially for recent grads. Now, the government is trying to fix things, but the reality is that our Congress can’t get anything done.

Let’s move on to healthcare. Under the Affordable Care Act in 2010, you can be covered by your parents’ health insurance until you’re twenty six. But, what happens after that? Let’s go back to the economy. With the job market the way it is, how much do you think you’ll be making at any job you get after graduating for undergrad? Will your job cover your health insurance? What exactly are your legal rights?

Now, I think we all know about student loans. How many of you are worried about graduating with crippling debt? How many of you know about Obama’s new student loan plan? You should what’s going to happen after you graduate. You should know how much you’re expected to pay back monthly, yearly, etc. Are the current laws fair?

And the last reason is this: it’s our future. Where this country goes, legally, politically, and socially, will affect us at some point. We might as well start working on it now.

Now, about those who think that if they simply vote in the Presidential elections every four years, they’ve done what they could. In case you haven’t taken a history or government class since high school, and have maybe have forgotten, the President isn’t the only who makes decisions in this country. Each state, and each district in each state, has representation in Congress, and elections are coming up this year. These people are the ones that come up with laws. They are also infamous for not getting anything done. The only way to change that, is to get politicians in there that willing to work for change.

So do a quick search and find out if there are some elections for the Senate or House of Representatives in your home state, and who is running. If you don’t live close enough to go home to vote, then apply for an absentee ballot, which you mail in. I know that’s what I’ll be doing.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Irina Kovari

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior marketing major at UMass, with a passion for writing and equal rights. I'm on MASSPIRG at UMass, drink too much caffeine, and eat too much chocolate.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst