Why College May Not Be the Best Years of Your Life (But That’s Okay)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You have been dreaming about college since middle school: those wild and crazy four years where you will meet your bridesmaids, and likewise your Prince Charming

But, the reputation does not always correlate to the reality. In actuality, not every weekend will be the best time of your life. Undoubtedly, there will be times in which you are scrambling to find a fun party, or once you arrive, wonder why you even wanted to come. Not every class will inspire you to start a new career, and they will be hard (even in those “easy” majors you’ve heard so much about). Girls still can be catty, and romance may actually be dead in the mind of the average college male.

Your college friends will probably not be like your high school friends, but that’s okay. Those you were closest with in high school often were friends you’ve had since you were little. Depending on the size of your school system, you may have known the majority of your classmates since kindergarten. These friendships saw you through the early development stage of your existence: your first heartbreak, all those times you were grounded, and even the memorable middle school years. Entering college you were alone, but not for long. The first people you meet are in the same position as you: scared, confused, and looking for a friend. Schools like UMass are huge, gigantic in proportion to your high school. As your classes shrink and extracurricular participation grows, you find others who share similar interests with you, people who you connect with due to similarity rather than physical proximity.

In high school, relationships were “serious.” High school sweethearts became the love of your life after two weeks. They were dramatic and full of devastation when they ended.  Entering college, expectations were high, hoping relationships would blossom like everyone’s favorite rom-com. However, the Tinder matches and frat hookups don’t exactly correlate with your dreams of future I Do’s. But are we really ready to find husbands when we can barely ever find where we put our phones? You may meet “the one” while at college, but if you don’t, there is still so much time, so don’t get too discouraged by your luck thus far.

Entering a large public university is hard and scary, especially if your entire high school contained less people than some of your lectures. The adjustment is difficult, and the initial period of loneliness may not immediately cease as time progresses. Over a quarter of college students are linked to having a diagnosed or treated mental illness. The prevalence of mental health issues on college campuses is immense, and either yourself or someone close to you may undergo such struggles.  It’s more than likely there will be times in which you feel alone, anxiety-ridden, and upset during your college career. The juggle between classes, homework, work, clubs, and having a social life can be overwhelming. Even so, almost all colleges offer resources and help for such issues. Inevitably, you may struggle adjusting to the immense changes occurring in your life.

Even if the famed reputation of college may not always be completely accurate, that doesn’t mean college won’t be the best years of your life. You will meet great people, make countless memories, and gain a really important educational experience. What the college years can show us is that life continues to get better. When you look back on your high school days, the differences and improvements are much clearer. It’ll all be worth it when all the long hours of homework and tedious notetaking skills you’ve perfected transform into the dream job you’ve always wanted.  

College is the transition period between high school and the rest of your adult life. In reality, a good portion of your college career reflects this transition as you work to develop yourself as a person. College is about testing and establishing your independence, your goals, and your beliefs. It’s challenging to find out who you are, and who you want to be for the rest of your life. While it may seem tough at times, college is a time you will cherish in your life as a time of progression, setting the stage for the rest of your fabulous life, Collegiettes. Enjoy it, even though sometimes it can be tough!

Photo Sources: header, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Louise Monroe

U Mass Amherst

Currently a junior English and Communication double major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.  Lover of Shonda Rhimes, dogs, feminism, and excessive amounts of espresso.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst