Why the Arts at UMass Are Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

On weekends, most of the UMass population is showing up to parties, going to the bars, or staying in with friends. Many people are unaware of the untapped resource that UMass has to offer: the weekend arts.

The arts are important because humans need an incentive to create. It’s so easy to get caught up with work and life—we need something to help get us away from reality sometimes. 

The arts have become underrated in colleges, often overshadowed by sports games or some new event that everyone is talking about. Whether you are a STEM major or theater major, there is something for everyone to experience.

On weekends, you can check out the UMass Comedy League. The UCL is one of the most popular arts groups on campus. Every Friday or Saturday night, Herter 231 transforms from an academic space to a laid-back, laughter-filled atmosphere. The groups in the UCL include Toast, Sketch 22, Mission: Improvable, and Thursday Night Live. Going through the week can be stressful and worrisome, and UCL performances can be a really nice oppurtunity to go out with friends and relieve some stress.

If you are more into the theatre scene, the UMass Department of Theatre also has some really great shows most weekends. Seeing a show is a great way to relax and calm down after the week. Check out “Refugee,” playing for the next few weekends in the Curtain Theatre!

The UMass Theatre Guild puts on four shows a semester and each one is fantastic. Popular shows of the past include “Legally Blonde,” “Seussical” and most recently, “Frankenstein”. As the oldest RSO on campus, the Guild has been active since 1906 and continuously puts on spectacular shows. Next semester, check out “Chicago” in the Concert Hall and “Proof.”

Going to see a show is such great thing to do because it gives you a chance to forget about whatever is going on in your life, even if it’s just for a little bit of time. The arts at UMass are so important because they are often overlooked, yet they include some of the hardest working people on campus without the recognition.

Consider joining an arts group on campus; joining a group gives you the opportunity for self-expression and being yourself. You get to experience a process from beginning to end and create a family within the process of creating a show. Next weekend, grab some friends and go see a show. I promise that you won’t regret it.

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4

Chloe Trepanier

U Mass Amherst

Chloe is a Her Campus National Social Media Intern and a senior Communication major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is the Social Media Director for Facebook for the UMass chapter and is the Chairperson of the UMass Theatre Guild. Her hobbies include watching 30 Rock and eating ice cream. You can follow her on Twitter and on Instagram. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst