Why a Mid-Semester Trip Home May Be Just What You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Every fall semester, I start to lose academic motivation about halfway through. That time between Halloween and the holiday season seems to creep by so slowly, so I usually try to take a trip home to recharge and relax for a few days. It is one of the biggest perks of going to school in-state after all. Here are a few things to do while you’re home to make the most out of your time.

Catch up with your hometown friends

I try to plan my trips home around when I know at least one of my friends will be in town. It is such a nostalgic experience to grab a coffee and drive around your hometown with your friends again, catching up on all the things you missed while you were apart. As much as I love my college friends, I still look forward to the time I spend with the friends I’ve known my whole life. It makes me feel socially refreshed again and ready to come back to school by the time the weekend ends.

Spend time with your family

There’s nothing like getting home, eating a home-cooked meal, and hanging out with your parents again. Playing with your family pets and sleeping in your own bed is an unmatched experience when you’re coming from a college dorm or apartment life. Everyone gets a little bit homesick no matter how much they love being at school, so the halfway point is the perfect time to cave and accept it a little bit by planning a trip home.

stay in and relax!

Especially following Halloweekend, it’s a good idea to take a break from your weekend routine and get away for a few days. It can be easy to get caught up in the culture of going out, and there is no pressure to do that at home. My favorite way to have a cozy fall night at home is by baking something with my mom and watching a movie together. Also, baths are definitely something that I took for granted at home, so it is extra luxurious coming from the communal showers at school. Whatever it is that helps you practice self-care, be sure to get some in while you can.

Get outside and go for a walk

Every time I go home I love to walk my dog around my neighborhood and through the walking trails around town. This time of year, the weather is perfect for getting outside and enjoying the fall leaves before it starts snowing. I know I’m not the only one soaking up these last few warm days before the classic New England winter hits us.

Getting away for the weekend to rest and recharge my social battery always prepares me to work through the home stretch of the fall semester. Once you come back, it’s only a few more weeks of work before the holiday break, so it’s a nice way to break up your time at school.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Victoria Enis

U Mass Amherst '24

Victoria is a junior marketing major at UMass Amherst.