burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Who Wore It Best at the Grammy Awards? Here’s My Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Receiving a Grammy Award is arguably one of the greatest accomplishments an artist can earn in today’s world of glitz and glamour. There’s never a shortage of impressive performances at the awards show by the nominees and special guests. One highlight of this year’s event was Kesha’s performance singing “Praying,” where she gave a particularly emotional rendition of her chart-topping song, surrounded by fellow proponents of women’s rights like Cyndi Lauper, Julia Michaels and Camila Cabello.

While there will always be noteworthy moments happening inside the awards show, this night in music is also known for its selection of fashion. More formal than the MTV Music Awards but more casual than the Oscars, the Grammys are situated in a special spot in between, where creativity and a sense of humor are encouraged.

Miley Cyrus

Miley’s style has historically been a wildcard but she rarely fails to impress. She appeared at the Grammys adorned in an onyx Jean Paul Gaultier jumpsuit with strappy cut-outs and glittery platform pumps. Her hair, set in soft waves, softened the serious dominatrix vibes her look was giving as she carried a single white rose on the red carpet.

SZA

SZA floated across the carpet in a Versace Couture gown. Silver chiffon bell sleeves and a thigh-high slit paired with simple strappy stilettos made for a whimsical look. Her gorgeous curls and minimal makeup combined with Chopard jewels pulled the look together.

Lana Del Rey

A headpiece made of stars topped off Lana’s ethereal look. She was glowing in an ivory Gucci gown covered in glitter and constellations. Silvery heels and brilliant jewelry tied the look together, and her sleek center-parted hair elevated her bohemian, celestial appearance.

Hailee Steinfeld

Hailee looked effortlessly chic in a sleek and strapless white column gown by Alexandre Vaulthier. Her purple metallic over-the-knee stiletto boots were a pleasant, edgy surprise, and paired with a blue smokey eye, struck the perfect balance between classic cuts and unexpected accessories. With simple jewelry and wavy hair pulled over one shoulder, she was glowing on the red carpet.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

julia tasiopoulos

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Amherst 2020
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst