This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you liked a harmless video on TikTok a couple months back, and the next thing you knew, you were in line at Barnes and Noble handing the cashier a stack of books the size of a toddler. After reading nearly every book I’ve come across on that app (and consoling my weeping bank account), I think it’s only fair that I share my knowledge. And what better way to do that than to combine it with one of my other favorite things?! So, without further ado, here’s my kind-of-niche-not-so-humble take on which “BookTok” book you should read, based entirely upon your zodiac sign.

tik tok app on black iphone
Photo by Solen Feyissa from Unsplash

Aries: All The Light We Cannot See

(March 21st – April 20th)

I realized I’ve picked a book on war for Aries, but I swear it wasn’t intentional. Anyways, All The Light We Cannot See is much more than a book on World War II. It tells the story of Marie-Laure and Werner Pfennig, two headstrong characters who advocate for opposite sides, but still manage to find their way to each other. It’ll poke at that little softness that I know you all have, trust me.

Taurus: Where The Crawdads Sing

(April 21st – May 20th)

As an Earth sign, I just feel like you guys would love this book. Without giving too much away, the story jumps back and forth between Kya’s upbringing in the marshlands and a murder investigation where she is the lead suspect. I think Kya is the epitome of a Taurus after seeing all she manages to endure, and you guys will love following her story.

Gemini: We Were Liars

(May 21st – June 20th)

You Geminis and your games. I love y’all, but I still think this book would be perfect for you. It follows a group of friends, an accident, and an absurd amount of lies to keep a secret. Even if you think you know everything, you’ll never see the twist coming!

Cancer: They Both Die At The End

(June 21st – July 22nd)

My sensitive besties. They Both Die At The End follows Mateo and Rufus, where in a utopian world, Death calls them and tells them they have 24 hours left to live. You’ll cry, of course, but at least the title warned you!

Leo: Norwegian Wood

(July 23rd – August 22nd)

If I’m sure of anything on this list, it’s that almost all the characters in Norwegian Wood scream Leo energy. Told through the eyes of Toru, an infuriatingly calm college student, he is torn between a woman he feels tied to and a woman he can’t tie down at all. Have fun realizing that Midori is literally you.

Virgo: All The Bright Places

(August 23rd – September 22nd)

Theodore Finch is obsessed with death. Violet Markey is obsessed with the future. Together, they attempt to help each other with their respective troubles, but ultimately find out that there’s just some things you can’t control. You better be taking notes Virgos!

Libra: Homesick For Another World

(September 23rd – October 22nd)

As a Libra myself, I feel like this book read me. Written as a collection of short stories, Homesick For Another World illustrates our constant search for connection and escape and our self-sabotage when we’re finally presented with it. You’re also going to feel a bit called out by the bluntness of the characters. Whoops.

Scorpio: A Touch Of Darkness

(October 23rd – November 22nd)

Powerful. Dominant. Self-reliant. Not only are these the characteristics of a Scorpio, but of a God as well. Persephone and Hades find themselves bound to each other through a contract in A Touch Of Darkness, and things get even more complicated when one starts to fall for the other. Scorpios love themselves a bad guy.

Sagittarius: The Invisible Life Of Addie LaRue

(November 23rd – December 21st)

This book follows Addie LaRue, who made a deal that if she could live forever, she would agree to be forgotten by everyone she meets. But 300 years later, she stumbles across a man who remembers her name. You’ll relate to her desperation to be seen (sorry for the call out!) and will absolutely love the story overall.

Capricorn: The Song Of Achilles

(December 22nd – January 19th)

Stubborn Capricorns, meet Achilles… you’ll get along just fine. If you think you know the tale, I promise you do not. The Song Of Achilles tells the full, beautifully devastating story of Achilles, and you’ll immediately change your ways of valuing success above everything (you don’t need to repress your emotions guys!)

Aquarius: On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous

(January 20th – February 19th)

Your love for humanity and your overthinking tendencies will allow you to fully immerse yourself in this book. Told as a letter from a son to his illiterate mother, the revelation that the narrator has will literally ruin you. Keep tissues nearby babes!

Pisces: The Kite Runner

(February 20th – March 20th)

Your constant craving for connection will be entirely fueled by this book. Taking place in Afghanistan, an unlikely friendship forms between a wealthy boy and the son of his father’s servant. You Pisces’ will fully relate to the themes of longing, loyalty, and love.

While I did spend a lot of time catering to each zodiac, feel free to stray from your sign to any of the other exceptional books mentioned! Happy reading!

person holding an open book in front of their face
Photo by Leah Kelley from Pexels

Bridie Howlett

U Mass Amherst '24

Bridie is a freshman at UMass Amherst majoring in Animal Science. In her free time, you'll find her listening to music, reading a book, or obsessing over her dogs!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst