This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Since the horrific death of Samantha Josephson (previous student at the University of South Carolina), the tension of entering a Lyft or Uber for college students, especially women, have risen quite high.  I recently visited the University of South Carolina two weeks after Josephson’s death, and the effect of her death is quite prominent at the University. After talking to friends who attend USC, they informed me that the impact of her death has made them think twice before stepping into an uber.  Not just USC students, but thousands of students across the country have begun taking steps to ensure their safety when stepping into an Uber/Lyft. Below are some tips to ensure your safety when entering these vehicles.

1. Always ask your driver who they are here to pick up      

• It is imperative to remember to never state your name first when entering an Uber/Lyft.  Always let the driver state your name before entering their vehicle.

• “Too many times I have stated my name to the driver, and looking back I have realized that anyone could agree that it was me they were picking up”

2. Confirm the license plate

• As the car approaches, be sure to double check the license plate with the plate provided by the app.  Make sure you’re positive that the picture of your driver given matches that face in the car.

3. Never travel alone!

• It’s always a good idea to have a buddy with you. Whether it be going to a party, coming home from the bars, or even just Ubering to a workout class, try not to travel by yourself.

• “I used to Uber to workout classes by myself and a few times have found myself feeling uncomfortable in the car. If you’re riding alone and feel uneasy, call a friend or a family member to keep comfortable for the duration of the ride.”

4. Don’t accept any drinks or food

• Many drivers often have candies or waters available for riders. Although it may be tempting to grab a water if you’re coming back from a night out, it’s probably safest not to.  We can’t be positive that nothing was added to these. I’m sure most of the time they’re harmless, but next time just think twice before accepting drinks or food from a stranger.

• “I can admit I have been guilty in the past of accepting candies and drinks from Ubers. I definitely will rethink this decision the next time my driver offers me anything”

5. Ask “#WHAT’S MY NAME”

•       Never again should an innocent civilian die because they were entering what they thought would be a safe ride home.  We should not have the constant fear that something bad will happen to us. We should not feel like we have to second guess our every move.  We should never feel threatened in a vehicle which we paid for to deliver us to our destination. No one wants to feel like this, but in our world today we have to take extra precautions to ensure our safety.

Next time you step into an Uber/Lyft, before you even buckle your seatbelt, ask “What’s My Name?.

Images: 1,2,3

Brennah Letorney

U Mass Amherst '22

Hi! I'm Brennah and I'm a Communications major at UMass Amherst. I've always loved engaging with others, whether that be in school or abroad I will talk your ear off. I strive to be genuine and courageous through all of life's endeavors. You can catch me teaching spin, writing, hanging with friends, and most definitely munching in the dining halls.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst