This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Now that the weather is getting chillier and we’re less inclined to spend time outdoors, it’s time to focus our attention on the best indoor fall activity – Netflix marathons! Each month, Netflix adds new shows and movies to its platform and for this October they did not disappoint. Check out some of the newest binge-worthy additions for your next Friday night movie night below:

Emily in Paris

If you loved Sex and the City or the Devil Wears Prada, Emily in Paris is the next show you should put on your watchlist. When I say that I binged the entire 10 episode series in 24 hours, it wasn’t because I thought the show was necessarily good. It has plot holes and cheesy clichés (not to mention I thought the main character Emily was kinda annoying), but what kept me interested was how easy it was to watch. Emily in Paris is perfect if you need a mini vacay from all the crazy sh*t going on in the world for a few hours just to focus on all the beautiful Parisian visuals (and beautiful cast)

sign that has the earth on it that says "one world"
Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet – Netflix Documentary

David Attenborough and his iconic British accent narrate another documentary about life on earth – but this time, he’s here to warn us that our planet is dying. Attenborough looks back on his life and reflects on how global warming has drastically changed our environment since he’s been born. This documentary is perfect for those who are passionate about climate change or want to learn more about the issue. 

Schitt’s Creek season 6

The sixth season of the wildly popular show Schitt’s Creek is now available on Netflix. First aired in 2015, this Canadian sitcom is about a previously wealthy family that is forced to move to a small town, Schitt’s Creek, that they purchased as a joke. Even though the show’s been around since 2015, it’s popularity has skyrocketed in the past few years and is now one of the top trending shows on Netflix. Though I’ve personally never seen it, my roommates and everyone else I know who’s watched cannot stop raving about Schitt’s Creek.

Ghost of Girlfriend’s Past

A classic rom-com for your next movie night with the roomies! Ghost of Girlfriend’s Past is a classic throwback from 2009 where Matthew McConaughey proves that he simply does not age. Take a walk down memory lane (like what McConaughey’s character does in the movie) and see your fave movie stars from the 2000’s (Jennifer Garner and Emma Stone) in action. 

American Murder: the family next door

This documentary that was added on Netflix September 30 is definitely not an easy watch. American Murder tells the story of the disappearance and murder of Shananna Watts and her two young daughters. The film shows how even the seemingly happiest of families can have deep, dark secrets, and when there’s a murder – always suspect the husband first!

woman wearing black shirt eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels
Whether you’re in the mood for something serious or a light-hearted comedy, any of these choices would be perfect for your next movie night!

Stephanie Wasserman

U Mass Amherst '21

Stephanie is a current sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in political science and journalism. She likes to spend her free time hanging out with friends, eating at berk for late night, and watching her favorite Netflix shows (but mostly just the Office). You can follow her on Instagram @slwasserman_
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst