What’s New in Music: MGMT, Ray Lamontagne and More!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While many of us may know MGMT for their initial hits such as “Time To Pretend,” “Kids,” and “Electric Feel” off of their debut album Oracular Spectacular, they have been embracing a more psychedelic and atmospheric sound ever since their sophomore album Congratulations.  This new one, simply called MGMT, has an air of what Brian Wilson would have made if he were born 40-odd years later, with orchestration and atmosphere reminiscent of Wilson’s masterpiece Pet Sounds, but full of synthesizers, other electronic elements, and more experimental and expansive song structures. On the lead single “Your Life is a Lie”, there is a juxtaposition between jaunty cowbell and uplifting melody with acerbic and sarcastic lyrics, but all delivered in a very concise package, clocking in at 2:06 when the majority of songs on the radio are four minutes long or longer. However, hook-crafting is not their only strong suit. A listen to tracks such as “Alien Days” and “I Love You Too, Death” give us an insight into their more psychedelic and slow-burning songwriting. For a band known mostly for the pop hits of their debut album, their subsequent albums deserve a listen as well to see what they are capable of.

What I’ve been listening to: There are a few albums and live concerts I’ve been listening to recently. One is Ray Lamontagne’s God Willin’ and the Creek Don’t Rise, which is a fantastic album of folk, blues, rock, and Americana songs all augmented by solid drumming, keening pedal steel, and LaMontagne’s voice, which sounds like a comfortable and fuzzy blanket that envelops you when you listen to it. Definitely check out the rest of it if you’ve heard “Beg, Steal, and Borrow” or “For the Summer” off of it already on the radio. Another is the Beatles’ first album Please Please Me, but mostly because I’m trying to learn how to sing harmony vocals better, and you can’t do much better than Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison’s ability to blend their voices, especially on this one which is basically a live album. The last is a video of Springsteen’s show on March 19, 1978 in Passaic, NJ, said to be one of his best of all time, and I believe it. It’s nearly four hours of unbridled joy and energy and raucous fun with a group that has really honed its craft.

Local Music Happenings:

1)   Amherst-based band Shakusky have released their first album Lancaster Market after recording it this summer. They are a relatively new band, but have become much more well-known in the past year, creating an impressive canon of music. Their combination of spoken-word/screamed vocals from frontman Steven Arcieri, dual-guitar attack from Mark Hillier and Eli Albanese (not delineated to “rhythm” and “lead” roles, but instead “right” and “left” due to where they sit in the stereo mix) and propulsive drums and bass from Lenny Schwartz and Liam Cregan make for a very intriguing indie rock sound. If you’d like to see them, they play in the area quite frequently. Check them out!

2)   Power-Pop band Fountains of Wayne, best known for their hit 2003 “Stacy’s Mom,” brings their combination of pop songcraft and rock intensity to the Iron Horse in Northampton on Sept. 26th after what could be described as a revitalization of their careers in the early 2010s. They will be joined by School for the Dead, a band much in the power-pop vein of Fountains of Wayne. Tickets are $25, $28 at the door, and the opening band goes on at 7pm.

3)   Electro-pop duo Cherub are coming to Pearl Street Nightclub on Sept. 27 at 9pm for a 16+ show with supporting acts French Horn Rebellion and Leave it On Stage. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door, and if you’re looking for a night full of funky, fun, danceable music, you couldn’t do much better than this.

Benjamin Bosco

U Mass Amherst

Ben Bosco: writer, musician, compendium of useless knowledge. If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst