What You Need to Know About Some of Your Local Student-Run Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

One of the things I love about UMass is the student-run businesses we have across campus. Not only are these places to grab food student-run and local, they are affordable as well. From Sweets and More to People’s Market these places are good eats and great finds, so stop by with friends or for a quick break and enjoy some good food!

Sweets and MoreLocated in Field Dorm in Orchard Hill this place is great for those with a super sweet tooth! Sweets and More serves items such as root beer floats, cake pops, milkshakes, and even breakfast foods like pancakes and egg sandwiches! On top of their great food, the most expensive food item on their menu is five dollars – a bargain, even for college students.

People’s Market

One awesome place on campus is the People’s Market. Located in the Student Union, this gem serves the best of the local businesses around Amherst and offers a variety of gluten, vegan, and vegetarian options. If you find yourself there on the way to class or for a snack break, they’re known for their iced Chai and bagels, so give it a try!

Earthfoods CaféEarthfoods Café is all about providing vegetarian options at a reasonable price. They serve items such as tofu broccoli peanut stir fry and coconut bars. Students love their mac and squash. For more information about Earthfoods Café you can go here . 

Greeno Sub Shop

Greeno, found in the Greenough Dorm in Central, offers a variety of subs, wraps, paninis and salads. Try a bite of their classic Caesar salad or give one of there signature subs a go; “The Nasty Nolan” has chicken cutlet with mushrooms, onions, peppers, muenster cheese, BBQ and hot sauce. Greeno has vegetarian and vegan options as well. The “Viva la Vegan” wrap contains veggie burger, hummus, tomato, onion, lettuce, cucumber, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Greeno Sub Shop is reasonably priced and takes YCMPs as well! Here is where you can access their website.

Happy eating, Collegiettes!

Photo Credit: 1 , 2 , 3

Sarah Newcomb

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst