The Lalagreen Apples
The Lalagreen Apples
Her Campus Media

What I’m Hoping for This Jewish New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If we’re being honest, 2020 hasn’t been that great so far. On top of the pandemic, which would’ve been enough in itself, we’ve seen some of the West Coast’s worst wildfires start to affect the East Coast, an explosion in Beirut, and most recently, the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Although it’s been tough, and 2021 still feels far away, the Jewish New Year, also known as Rosh Hashanah, just passed, and I am using it as the reset we all need

During Rosh Hashanah, we use the greeting “L’shana tovah u’metukah,” or “Shanah tovah” for short. This translates to “for a good and sweet year,” something I’m sure most of us could use. Some things that come to mind when I think of a good and sweet year are healthy relationships, mental and physical wellbeing, and personal accountability. These things have proven to be most important to me since the beginning of 2020.

For a good and sweet year of healthy relationships.

Relationships have been key to surviving 2020 because, ironically, they were so necessary when we couldn’t see anyone. Zoom and FaceTime helped me to get through some of the scariest and most stressful times with my friends and family, as I realized we were all in the same position during the pandemic. There were so many unknowns, but we learned more and more together, and although it sucked not seeing each other in person, I knew I wasn’t the only one struggling.

zoom call with friends
Photo by Gabriel Benois from Unsplash

For a good and sweet year of mental and physical wellbeing.

Wellbeing has become more important to me within the last year because I had never really struggled with this one before. COVID-19 has made me feel anxious, lonely, physically unwell, and more stressed than ever before. By now, we have had time to practice indoor workouts, walks with friends, socially distanced picnics, and more, yet it is still so easy to get caught up in bad habits while so many businesses are closed. It has become apparent to me how valuable making time for fun can be, even in the time of a pandemic. 

For a good and sweet year of personal accountability.

Lastly, and I think most importantly, personal accountability is key this year. With climate change, racial inequality, and genocides, we all have to do our part to help save our societies and planet. It may seem challenging to commit to these injustices while in a pandemic, but in reality, it has made it that much easier to find time to dedicate ourselves. By reducing time traveling to work or school we can take ten or twenty minutes a day to educate ourselves on how to make our world a more equitable place.

sign saying fight today for a better tomorrow
Markus Spiske / Pexels

Here’s to a good and sweet new year.

Arete Giannetti

U Mass Amherst '23

Arete is currently a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in hospitality and tourism management. In addition to Her Campus, she is an RA on campus. In her free time, she loves to make playlists, play games, and watch Wheel of Fortune!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst