george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Realized When I Went 24 Hours Without Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Going a day without social media seemed like it was going to be more painful than it actually was. The break from my cell phone made me realize that due to our constant focus on wanting to share posts with friends, we often forget to actually live in the moment. Although it’s something that even I do, it’s important to put our phones down every once in a while and enjoy what’s right in front of us. Here are some things I learned when I went 24 hours without using social media, and yes, that included Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

1. I learned to live in the now.

When I’m scrolling through social media, I often don’t pay attention to what’s going on right in front of me. I lose concentration in the real world, and become attached to keeping Snapchat streaks and making sure not to miss out on the newest Instagram pictures. But with the obsession to check my phone, I also forget what’s happening in front of me. Do you really want to miss out on seeing a puppy or simply spending time with friends. My takeaway is to live in the moment. The next time you’re out for dinner with family or friends, remember to put down your phone and become more observant of what’s happening around you.

2. I got more work done.

Often when I’m on my phone, besides texting, it’s to check social media. Most of the time I spend is mindless activity, like scrolling through Facebook or Instagram. When I went the day without social media, it gave me more time to actually get my work done, whether that included studying for a test or writing a paper. By not using social media, I learned that most of the time I’m on my phone is because I’m bored. So when I had no option other than to check the weather every few minutes, I realized that I can get so much more work done when I don’t use social media (which sounds pretty obvious), but it took more than halfway through the day to realize it.

3. I learned that social media creates distance — but it also connects us.

Scrolling through social media apps too often can often lead to less face-to-face interactions between one another. We get so caught up in sending a selfie to our friends, seeing what the latest hashtag is all about, or just constantly texting. We often forget about what is happening in front of us because we get so distracted by our phones. While we can often lack direct connection, social media also creates a connection across distances. Whether it’s in another country or just another state, social media binds us to have this connection to talk to each other and share photos, though we’re not even in the same place. So while it can be a distraction, I became more appreciative of the fact that I can keep in touch with friends at different colleges and family who are a few hours away.

4. You guessed it: I realized how dependent I am on social media.

When I faced the realization that I would have to go a day without social media, which was part of a project for one of my classes, it actually made me anxious. It sounds wrong, but I was missing out on this digital world that I am so used to being part of. It made me become more aware of how dependent much of our society is on social media, and on smart phones in general. That morning, it felt like it was going to be a long 24 hours, which it really was not. It made me realize that there are so many other things to do rather than just be on my phone checking social media.

So go ahead, try it out. Challenge yourself to a day — or 7 — without your social media. You’ll be surprised at how good it feels.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Lyla Hyman

U Mass Amherst '21

Lyla is a senior at UMass Amherst. She is studying both Communication and Journalism and is currently a Senior Editor, Multimedia Director, and Twitter Coordinator for HC at UMass Amherst. When she is not busy working, she spends her time writing, singing, reading new books, walking outside, and making matcha lattes. She was born and raised in Boston, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst