What I Love Most About the UMass Amherst Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst has some of the prettiest views and buildings, in my HUMBLE opinion. I will be the first to say that I will never take walking through campus for granted again and I look forward to the day when I will be able to walk to my classes again. 

One of my absolute favorite buildings on campus would have to be South College. Located right near the W.E.B DuBois library, it stands tall and confident. Need a quiet place to grind out that paper you left for the hour before it was due? South College is the perfect spot. Full of tables, chairs, couches, and its very own coffee machine… how could you go wrong! Across the way on the other side of the campus pond is the Integrative Learning Center, another one of my favorite study spots. The ILC happens to be the hub for both of my majors, Communication and Journalism, but it is by far one of the prettiest buildings on campus. The glass windows and walls that overlook the campus pond make for a spectacular view all year round. There are also multiple floors full of comfortable study spaces and academic resources.  

Let’s also take a minute to talk about the library located in the center of campus. Only one of the tallest libraries on any college campus anywhere, no big deal! With its twenty six floors The W.E.B. DuBois library is another one of my favorite buildings to look at and hang out at. On floor nine to be exact. Not only does the library have thousands of books (obviously), but each floor has a different theme and different resources. Some of these include the silent floor, study rooms that can be reserved, the writing center, and so much more. Having access to all of these resources is what makes this specific library so special.

The Lala

These buildings are only three out of the plethora of outstanding pieces of architecture on campus. However, the buildings are not the only eye catching elements at UMass Amherst. The nature that surrounds them completes the picture. Located in the middle of South College, the ILC, and the library is the campus pond. Looking for a spot to sit outside for a while to do work or to simply take in the view? Any spot surrounding the campus pond is a stellar option. You may even become friends with some of the geese and turtles. Another aesthetically pleasing spot on campus is the view from the Commonwealth Honors College. These dorm buildings located near the recreation center overlook the mountains that are located just beyond campus. This is why the walk back from my workouts at sunset Freshman year was my favorite time of the day. 

One last part of campus I want to note is the foliage. Because of the amount of green space, plants, and trees located on campus the fall is my favorite time of the year. Walking to classes while the leaves and colors are changing used to be the best way to start my day when I lived on campus. The shift from summer to fall also makes for some great photo opportunities. This is something I miss the most and look forward to returning to once it is safe to be back on campus! 

Lea Michele new years gif
Giphy

Haley LaKind

U Mass Amherst '23

Haley LaKind is a junior Communication and Journalism double major on the Public Relations Track. She enjoys writing biweekly articles for Her Campus as well as running the chapter instagram page @hcumassamherst. Her hobbies include exercise, travel, journaling, and spending time with friends and family. At UMass she is also involved with UMass CHAARG and the Public Relations Club.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst