What I Learned this Summer Working in Retail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Like any other broke college student, I needed a job for this past summer and went looking for one like crazy. I knew if I came home from school without any possible prospects, my parents would kill me. So, I applied everywhere.

Until one day I got a phone call from Urban Outfitters telling me to come in for an interview. I couldn’t believe it. I hung up the phone, and started screaming with joy in my roommate’s car, practically throwing my phone out the window due to the excitement. And in the end, I got the job. I was ecstatic.

For a teenager obsessed with fashion who already shopped at the store, and loved everything about it. I couldn’t wait to start working. I even referred to it as my “dream job as a 19 year old girl” to everyone who asked. But, as all things go, I knew there would be parts of the job that I wouldn’t like. I was worried in some aspects because of all the horrible things I’ve heard about people working in retail.

I learned a couple of things while working at Urban this past summer, and not some things you would originally think about. But, I want to let you guys in on my little secret, and maybe you’ll completely disagree and throw your computer in rage, but let’s hope that’s not the case.

I learned that, in general, people don’t suck. Yes, you read that right. They don’t. Lots of people will complain about working in retail and how terribly customers treat them. And yes, I had those days. Those days, one hour felt like three and you are left wondering if these people were literally sent here to make your day miserable. And, don’t even get me started on tweens.

But, in those times, you need to remind yourself that the universe isn’t against you, and this group of 7 tweens with about 12 articles of clothing each were not sent here to ruin your day. And, that lady asking you why your underwear is flammable isn’t trying to stump you with the world’s strangest question.

On the other side of things, I remember countless occasions where people were kind, friendly, and personable. And, when people are like that, it just makes the whole experience better. Not just for you, but for them as well. If you’re radiating positive vibes and giving out smiles to each and every customer, hopefully they’ll pick up on that and smile back too. Happiness builds upon happiness, and in retail we all could use a little bit of happiness.

And even after work I would even find myself smiling at random people on the street and saying hello. At first I thought, why am I doing this? Aren’t people going to be like “what’s up with this super friendly weirdo?” But then I realized: we should live in a world where people always smile at each other. It’s just more down right awesome.

So my advice to you is to go out into the world realizing that we’re all people. We all have things going on in our lives, good and bad. You never know what’s going on in a person’s life that day, so try and be as kind as possible. Is yelling at a teenager about the price of a shirt really going to do anything for you? No. Instead, smile and relax. If we lived in a world where people treated strangers better, it would be a much better, happier place. The next time you step into an Urban, H&M, Forever21, or wherever, don’t suck. Don’t be that person. Instead be that customer who makes someone’s day. I believe in you all so keep on smiling.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,

Carson McGrath

U Mass Amherst

Carson McGrath is in her first year at the University of Massachusetts. She is studying English and Journalism and hopes to one day write professionally. She is a triplet and loves the color orange, sushi, and Audrey Hepburn.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst