This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

On the morning of September 18th, 2020 Ruth Bader Ginsburg sadly passed away at 87 years old. I immediately received a text from my mom, mourning the massive loss of our nation. She leaves behind a legacy and a significant mark on law, feminism, equality, and pop culture. Her work has changed the lives of so many Americans and paved the way for every life that is able to make choices due to the laws she fought so hard to change, through her Supreme Court rulings. As a woman, I can only hope that the legacy she left behind is upheld in this world without her. Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a force of energy that this grave nation needed to improve the future for generations to come. So what did I learn from this amazing woman? What lessons will I hold within me and continue to pass down, just as my mom did for me? 

Choose Your Battles

As an independent woman myself, who likes to get the last word in, this is an important one. Learning that it isn’t always important to win every battle, but to win the war. To encourage and lead people to your truth, but make them think it was their idea. As Ginsburg said, “Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.” 

Stick With Those Who Cheer You On

As a woman in a position of power, Ginsburg knew what it was like to have people dislike her. There are always going to be people who try and invalidate what got you to where you are, but she never let that stop her. Her husband was a massive supporter of hers. He knew her work was equally as important as his, and watched her rise to the top of the legal world all on her own, with a proud smile on his face. He cheered her on and supported her in a way that all women should expect. It is so important to find those people who will help you shine and achieve your dreams, because who doesn’t want support from someone they love, whether that be a friend, a family member, or a significant other.

Live Your Truth 

Always stand in your own truth. Ginsurbug knew what it meant to be the voice of dissent. Be that voice that puts the lives of others forward. Ginsburg always stood up for what she believed in unfailingly. This is something my mom has instilled in me and I will unapologetically continue to do so, as should you. 

Be Selfless 

Ginsburg’s passion for others is what drove her to be the successful woman we know her as today. This fueled her fight and she showed us the value of living selflessly. Ginsburg said, “That’s what I think a meaningful life is: living not for oneself, but for one’s community.” This quote encompasses her entire life and her drive to help humanity and make the world an equal place for all. 

Pocket Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s wisdom and let her rest in power as we build the legacy she left behind. 

All images courtesy of the HC media library 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Abbey LeClair

U Mass Amherst '22

Abbey LeClair is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Psychology on the Neuroscience track. She loves to spend her time hanging out with friends, listening to music, and dancing for the UMass Dance Club. Feel free to follow her on Instagram: @abbeyleclair
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst