Pebble Beach, California
Pebble Beach, California
Original photo by Danielle Efrat

What I Learned From My First Workaway Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’ve been keeping up with HC UMass this year, you may remember I took the fall semester off. (If you don’t, feel free to catch up here.) The decision wasn’t easy; it was a shot in the dark. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, but I knew I wanted it to be meaningful, and definitely not Zoom school. After months of searching, a friend of mine told me about Workaway. For those unfamiliar with Workaway, it is a site for cultural exchange and volunteering opportunities. As a volunteer, or “Workawayer,” one would receive lodging and food in exchange for work, wherever needed by their host. From farmstays, to house sitting, to sustainability projects, and so much more, Workaway is perfect for anyone looking for an affordable way to travel. 

Me volunteering in California
Original photo by Danielle Efrat

After months of searching for the perfect opportunity, I ended up spending five weeks volunteering at the Padmasambhava Peace Institute in Northern California. Padmasambhava Peace Institute (or PPI, for short) is a Buddhist retreat center which typically hosts retreat groups. Due to the pandemic, they have been unable to accommodate groups, but continue to accept a limited number of volunteers. (Note: volunteers are required to get tested for COVID-19, as well as quarantine upon arrival to the property.) The work included different maintenance and building tasks, such as brush clearing, yurt building, and repainting the staff house. The property itself is about 500 acres, composed mostly of hiking trails and forests. The workday consisted of outdoor work from 9-1, followed by lunch, then free time. Considering the property is in the woods with limited transportation, that free time consisted of a good amount of hiking and plenty of solitude.

I’ve never been that good at being alone. Before the pandemic, everything I did I preferred to do in the company of others. Why eat breakfast alone when I could do that with my friends? Once the pandemic hit, I realized that I’m going to have to get used to some alone time and having adventures on my own. When I decided to go to PPI, I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect, but a part of me expected some adventures with people my age and a whole lot of exploration of the area. Instead, I was met with some of the loveliest people over 10-15 years older than me, and a whole lot of alone time to just wander. 

Me in front of the sunset in California
Original photo by Danielle Efrat

At first, it felt like a bit of a shock. It wasn’t quite the wild adventure I’d imagined. But as time went on I grew more comfortable with this experience, and now I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Especially during the last few weeks I found comfort in my laid-back routine. At the end of the driveway there’s a short trail that leads to an overlook spot with no service where I would go to watch the sunset every evening, just me and my music. No service, just thoughts. For many, that seems like a small step, but for someone who always preferred the company of others this is a big step. Not only enjoying my time alone, but continuing to seek it out months after returning. In fact, I took a break from writing this article to go sit in my car and watch the sunset. If there’s one thing 2020 has taught me, and especially its later months, is that it’s not just okay to be alone, but there’s comfort in solitude. Especially when you’re on a cross-country train, I seriously could not recommend it enough.

Volunteering at PPI was probably the best decision I could have made, and you could find your volunteer opportunity too. Or you could spend hours looking for one, which is my personal favorite way to pass the time nowadays. There are plenty of opportunities and a whole wide world to explore, so if you’re looking for somewhere to start Workaway could be the site for you.

Images taken by author

Danielle Efrat

U Mass Amherst '23

Danielle is a Junior majoring in Art History and minoring in Art and Education at UMass Amherst. She is passionate about all things photography, travel, music, and her dogs, Bruno & Buddy, which you can see pictures of on her Instagram @daniellefrat
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst