Life > Experiences

What I Learned from My Experiences Working With Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I began babysitting at age 12 for a few of my neighbors. Even though I was still basically a child myself, I already knew I loved working with kids. From then until my senior year of high school, I babysat for probably around 30 families. Some I saw just once or twice, some were recurring. Aside from babysitting, I also volunteered at a preschool, taught at my local temple, and did an internship at an elementary school. My various experiences with children of all ages have taught me so much over the years. 

I had my first “job” the summer after my freshman year of high school. I was a nanny for two boys who were 10 and 12 years old. I was only 15. For five days a week during the entire summer I watched TV, played sports, and went on walks with these boys. I couldn’t drive yet, so my options for things to do were limited. The 12-year-old was very laid back and well-behaved; however, his younger brother was difficult. There were days when I would have to force him to get off the computer and go outside. He would scream at me, crying his eyes out, and refuse to leave the house despite the fact that it was summer. I was put in an extremely awkward position because I wasn’t that much older than them, so they didn’t really see me as an authority figure.

I learned a lot from this particular experience though — I gained a new sense of patience after dealing with multiple temper tantrums. I also learned how to de-escalate situations and calm people down because these boys also fought quite often. I also had to get creative with activities. We could only walk to the playground or the public pool so often. At age 15, I matured a lot after this summer, but I also learned I never wanted to nanny again. 

Growing up, I attended a temple in my hometown for Hebrew School until I had a Bat Mitzvah. Once I was a junior in high school, I began working there as a teacher’s assistant. I worked with a 5th and 6th grade class where I helped with lesson plans, activities, and controlling the overall classroom. This class, which was mostly made up of boys, was a bit rowdy at times. Because they were just entering middle school, they were loud, impatient, and stubborn. However, at the end of the day, they were fun to be around and I learned how to be authoritative in a classroom setting.

One year later I continued working with these kids, but I also became the headteacher for the preschoolers. This class was predominantly girls and they were so sweet. Despite the fact they were only 3 or 4 years old, they were such good listeners and always respected what I said to them. Overall, this experience was very rewarding because I got to work in a place where I was once a student and give back to my community. I learned how to interact with kids in a real classroom, which gave me a new sense of responsibility. 

Throughout my teenage years, some of my favorite jobs included working with children. While it was tiring and frustrating at points, it was equally worthwhile. The joy I felt when I helped a kid, made them laugh, or taught them something new was indescribable. Every day I spent babysitting or in the classroom, I learned something new, and those experiences made me the person I am today. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Abby Champoux

U Mass Amherst '23

I'm Abby and I'm a senior psychology major at UMass! I'm also a sociology minor working toward social work and criminal justice certificates. This is my second year with HC and I love the friendly and inclusive environment of it.