What Experience Changed Your Life: UMass Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I asked some students at UMass Amherst to answer this question: What experience changed your life? We all have defining moments in our lives that change us forever, and this article showcases that moment for these UMass students.

“Being a camp counselor and watching immature eight year olds blossom into young, thoughtful adults. Watching them grow and knowing that you had a huge part in their growing up.Katy Rieber ‘17

“The moment I found out my dad was diagnosed with cancer; realizing that my biggest fear had come true, and stomaching the fact that I had no idea what would happen next.” Rachel Annese ‘15

“Coming to school and leaving home has probably had the biggest impact on my life so far. Being on your own teaches you so much about yourself and how to manage your life. My time here at school has also shown me how important my family and friends are.” Anonymous

“The deportation of my dad was a major life-changing experience.” Louis Guevara ‘15

“The day I discovered Harry Styles.” Anonymous

“My mom had breast cancer very young at the age of 32. It was definitely a learning experience in the sense that it has helped me learn to really appreciate my family and those who are close to me because you never really know what tomorrow will bring.” Brittaney Lynch ‘15

Traveling let me see the world with open eyes and has made me more objective and open toward any situation.” Magda Mitaszka ‘15

Going to the gym. It changed my life because I found a new passion, got rid of bad habits, and spent time improving myself instead of playing video games or something else.” Sam ‘16

“An experience that has been life-changing has been my summer job teaching children with severe disabilities how to swim. It has really helped me put things in my own life in perspective and I get to work at a job that I love.” Emily Budzynkiewicz ‘16

“One of the biggest life-changing moments for me was transferring to UMass Amherst this year. Within the first two months of being here, I learned to step outside my comfort zone and get involved on campus, which was definitely the best thing I could have done to ease the transition process. Even though it was tough leaving all my friends at Ohio State, I got to meet so many amazing people here at UMass that are now a huge part of my life!” Kim Chittanon ‘16

“When I went to Italy for the first time when I was 16.” Fran Burns ‘15

Can you relate to these students, Collegiettes? Does this make you reflect on your own life? Tweet us @HerCampusUMass

Rachel Annese

U Mass Amherst

A junior at UMass Amherst who enjoys all things Beyonce, singing in the shower, and spending endless nights watching The Office.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst