This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Since March 2020, there has been a rise in anti-Asian sentiment due to misplaced anger over the pandemic. As cases began rising, so did fear, and so did racism. The NYPD reported that hate crimes against Asian Americans have increased by 1,900 percent since the pandemic has started. In recent weeks, violence targeted towards the elderly in California has sparked outrage. The rise in anti-Asian sentiment is no surprise when former President, Donald Trump, has helped normalize anti-Asian xenophobia by referring to Covid-19 as the “China virus” or “Kung Flu”. The sad thing is that none of this is new, and Asian Americans have been experiencing discrimination for years. The difference in the last few years has been the presence of social media and the ability to post about what is happening around you.

election
Photo by Markus Spiske from Unsplash

My mom came to the United States from Indonesia 30 years ago, and later met my dad who grew up in the U.S. I grew up in a community that was mostly white, and often found it difficult to navigate my identity and understand my place and privilege in America. Throughout my childhood, I endured the constant “Where are you really from?” questions, the period where kids at school would slant their eyes as a joke, and even a few more severe instances. When I was 11-years-old, I remember someone I went to school with called me a “chink”, and I felt shame and embarrassment at the time. I went home and cried to my mom that day, and she went on to tell me some of her own experiences with racism living in America. She explained how people sometimes speak louder towards her thinking that would help her better understand them even though she is fluent in English, people assuming she is Chinese since “We’re all the same” and being called different names. That was my first real introduction to the struggles that Asian Americans face day today.

\"Immigrants make America great\" sign
Photo by Nitish Meena from Unsplash

Looking back at that conversation with my mom, I can see not much has changed today. The pandemic did not start anti-Asian xenophobia but rather brought it to the surface again to show the country’s long history of systemic and cultural racism towards Asian individuals. Seeing the recent stories in the news has instilled fear in me for my Asian friends and family, and this fear has been a wake-up call. We need serious change and we need to acknowledge the Asian American experience. We need to do better and educate ourselves on the wide range of Asian American experiences and cultures. Those in privileged positions need to speak up for the millions of Asian Americans who cannot. Support your local Chinatown and Asian-owned businesses when possible. Volunteer or donate to organizations doing their part, and most importantly speak up and never remain silent. 

Julia Brown

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia Brown is currently a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying nutrition and public health. She loves hanging with friends and finding cute coffee shops in her free time. Feel free to follow her on instagram @juliabrown15
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst