This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The end of the semester is finally here (you did it!!), and almost all college students have a winter break that is longer than normal. As someone who constantly feels like I need to be doing 10 things at once, I’ve already been planning how to spend my winter break. Here are just a few suggestions of ways to spend your break in the middle of a pandemic! 

Self-Care

This goes without saying, but you deserve a break! This was a stressful, busy, and weird semester, and I can’t wait for the time off to not worry about homework all the time. I’m looking forward to buying and wrapping gifts for my family and friends, baking holiday treats, and watching holiday movies. 

Professional Stuff

When I don’t have school work, I finally have time to update my resume, add to my LinkedIn, and start to look for summer jobs. Even though we just finished the fall semester, it’s never too early to start planning ahead!

Find an Internship/Seasonal Job

Whether you are looking for a job for the holiday season or a school-related internship, there are a surprising amount of in-person and virtual internships and different types of work that can help you save some money, especially during the holidays. I recommend starting early and looking online to see jobs that might be a good fit for you!

Go Exploring

I’ve missed being in my hometown a lot this semester, so I can’t wait to be back near the beach and all my favorite places, especially as it starts to get snowy. Even with COVID-19, you can go hiking, explore new places you may have never gotten to go to before, and of course drive around to look at holiday decorations!

You can do so much with your winter break this year, especially enjoying some time off and preparing for next semester, so make the most out of it and stay safe!

Suzanne Wilson

U Mass Amherst '22

Suzanne is a senior at Umass studying public health, with hopes of becoming an epidemiologist. She works as a barista at a coffee shop and a tutor. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach, spending time with friends, and drinking chai lattes.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst