This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s finally the weekend and you have the whole day to relax after a long week. The fall foliage outside is gorgeous and the cool, brisk air smells of fallen leaves and wet dirt. It’s the perfect scene for a cozy fall day in.

Set The Scene

If you’re gonna have a cozy day inside, you’ve gotta set the tone by decorating your space. Fall-scented candles, decorative string lights, and big, cozy blankets are 100% the way to go. Dim the lights, get out your festive fall decor, and get ready for your much-deserved day of comfort.

Books, harry potter, nescafe cup, lights
Photo by Sadiq Nafee from Unsplash

Proper Attire

Don’t forget to dress the part too! Now you can go about your comfy outfit a few different ways. If you’re like me, pajama day all the way. If you’re going for something more sophisticated, a loungewear set is a great alternative. Finally, the basic ‘sweater and leggings’ look never fails. 

woman in bed under covers
Photo by Tirachard Kumtanom from Stocksnap

Food & Drinks

You can’t have an official day at home without sufficient snacks on hand. Luckily, fall brings a plethora of comfort foods, seasonal flavors, and mouth-watering treats! Starbucks and Dunkin’ have released their seasonal coffee flavors such as the oh-so-famous Pumpkin Spice Latte or my personal favorite, Dunkin’ hazelnut coffee. Not to mention, specialty hot chocolate flavors are here too! 

As for sweet treats, pumpkin spice-flavored everything is in-stock, along with candy, baked goods, and comfort food galore. Some of the most noteworthy are Halloween Oreos, Pillsbury Pumpkin Spice Rolls, apple cider donuts, and, of course, these delicious Pillsbury cookies from heaven!

coffee cup
Paige Cody

At-Home Fall Activities

Now the scene is set, you’re dressed for comfort, and you have tasty snacks ready for your special day. Here comes the fun part! Depending on what you’re up for, there’s a wide variety of fun fall things to do.

1. Baking

With such a broad variety of seasonal desserts, you can bake a multitude of delicious treats. Pie, cake, muffins, bread, strudel, cookies, pastries, and so much more all make for great baking projects this autumn season. Just thinking about the warm, sweet smells gets me excited.

Spoon Csu-Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Muffins
Brook Buchan / Spoon

2. Reading

Fall is the perfect time to read books. With great reads like Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Hobbit, there is no shortage of captivating stories to delve into. Curl up by the fire (or space heater), pour a cup of tea, and get lost in another world.

Mug of black coffee next to woman reading a book
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

3. Netflix/Movie Marathon

Bring on the aforementioned Oreos and hot cocoa because it’s time to snuggle up for the big screen (or the laptop screen) for some proper entertainment. If you’re more health-conscious or dairy-free, you can vouch for one of the many delicious Halo Top ice cream flavors as well.

For you movie fanatics, there are loads of fall-themed movies to watch whether you’re into rom-coms, horror, or adventure films. Be on the lookout for classics like When Harry Met Sally, Halloweentown, Harry Potter, and The Shining. There are plenty of new films coming out this season too!

As for those who prefer TV, Friends, Gilmore Girls, Supernatural, Pretty Little Liars, The Society (where you can find me at our Thanksgiving celebration), American Horror Story, and Halloween Baking Championship are among my favorites. 

laptop playing "Hocus Pocus" in a room with candles and popcorn
Photo by lucas mendes from Unsplash

4. At-Home Spa Day

What better way to spend a day off than by pampering yourself? There are so many ways to indulge in self-care from the comfort of your own home. For instance, try one of these DIY fall-themed spa treatments. Paint your nails with fun designs like these or try one of these fall face masks. If you just want to relax, run a bubble bath, light some candles, dim the lights, and chill out while you listen to your favorite fall playlist.

periwinkle manicure on short nails
Photo by Kristina Paukshtite from Pexels

5. Game Night

Another way to spend a cozy fall day at home is to have a game night with your friends or family. Some good board game options to play are Clue, Apples to Apples, What Do You Meme, and Trivia. You can also go for card games like UNO, Phase Ten, and Cards Against Humanity. Video games like Mario Kart, Super Mario Brothers, and Animal Crossing are also lots of fun to play.

Photo by Sara Kurfeß on Unsplash

No matter how you spend your day, be sure to indulge in the many delights and festivities of fall. Get your cozy on and make the most of this cozy season!

Alexandria Faneuf

U Mass Amherst '21

Ali is studying Communication and Journalism major at UMass Amherst. She loves traveling, watching movies, health, fitness, acting, and writing. Ali hopes to inspire, entertain, and motivate others through her writing and content creation. Get to know her better by following her on Instagram @alimorgan413.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst