This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When walking around a college campus, most students have one thing in common: they are all wearing headphones. Whether they are listening to pop, rap, indie, or country music, I would guess that at some point in the day almost everyone puts in their headphones to escape reality for a little bit. You can always tell when the person walking in front of you has a good song on when they are sort of mouthing the words and walking to the beat. (Or is that just me?) Recently, I have started to make a playlist for every month; shout-out to my best friend for giving me the idea. I then decided to dedicate this month’s playlist to a girl power playlist, where hopefully everyone can appreciate at least one song no matter what their favorite genre is.

“Finest Hour” by Cash Cash (feat. Abir)

This powerhouse song preaches all the right things. Abir sings about being imperfect and flawed, and although this may not be her finest hour, she isn’t hiding her faults for anybody.

“Good Kisser” by Lake Street Dive

Whether you have been through a break up or not, you know being talked about behind your back is the worst. Lake Street Dive plays to the perspective that no matter what happened in the past, you once cared about each other and should always speak kindly of one another. This indie folk song is one that everyone will want to sing along to!

“I Hope” by Gabby Barrett

Oh, what a classic. Gabby Barrett speaks every girl’s inner thoughts about how you might feel after being cheated on. This is a 2019 version of “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood. It is for sure a girl’s night and scream at the top of your lungs kind of song that makes you want to just get up and sing.

“Last Night’s Mascara” by Brynn Cartelli

“Last Night’s Mascara” has the main idea of the song right in the title. If you’re of age, and even maybe have had a few too many drinks, you may have experienced a night out that has gone a bit too wild. This song is for dance parties only!

“Glitter” by Benee

This beat is the perfect tempo to walk to class to. It’s an upbeat song about sticking together with someone just like how glitter can stick. This song is fun and bubbly and a for sure must-listen with this warm weather and sunshine starting to peek through.

“Rare” by Selena Gomez

Selena’s third album is one that caught everyone’s attention. It revolves around her very public break up with Justin Bieber. This whole album is an anthem to women everywhere. “Rare” reminds us all of how precious each and every one of us is. Don’t let anyone dull your light!

“Look Up Child” by Lauren Daigle

This song can mean something to everyone whether you think about one of your parents, a role model, or your religion. This song is a reminder to look up and not let all the scary things in this world overwhelm you.

“Know Your Worth” by Khalid

Recently released, “Know Your Worth” is just one of Khalid’s greatest hits. This song is about knowing how much you are worth and finding someone who sees the best in you. In case you haven’t read my last article, and you can’t remember to do this on your own, then Khalid is here to remind you of how amazing you are.

“The Bones” by Maren Morris & Hozier

A little different from the original, this song is a remix with Hozier. They sing about the importance of having a concrete base in any relationship in your life. (Plus Hozier’s voice is like butter). 

“Grey Area” by Grey (feat. Sofia Carson)

This song talks about not wanting to share your life with someone if they aren’t treating you the way they should. Plus the song is so catchy, you’ll have it stuck in your head for days! 

Abbey LeClair

U Mass Amherst '22

Abbey LeClair is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Psychology on the Neuroscience track. She loves to spend her time hanging out with friends, listening to music, and dancing for the UMass Dance Club. Feel free to follow her on Instagram: @abbeyleclair
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst