Life > Experiences

UMass Marching Band: The Unsung Heroes of Game Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I attended my first-ever UMass football game two weeks ago. I’ve never had much interest in the whole “game day” atmosphere, but my amazing boyfriend is in the UMass Marching Band, so I decided to don my UMass apparel and head to McGuirk to show my support. I had heard that the marching band was good, but guys, their performance knocked my socks off. It made me realize that whether the Minutemen win or lose, there is a team of 400+ dedicated individuals who leave it all on the field and are victorious every time. And they deserve way more love than they get.

UMass Marching Band (resubmission in correct form)
Photo by Hanna Jane Kilduff

Just a little background on how hard these musicians work: they move to campus weeks before the rest of us to participate in Band Camp, where they learn all the ins and outs of marching for UMass. They start early in the morning and don’t finish until long after sundown, for a week straight. Once classes start, they rehearse for almost two hours every night, rain or shine. They show up hours early on game days, stay long after the game is over for their fifth quarter show, and attend many outside events on their very few days off. These people work hard, and it shows when they perform.

I watched the band as they prepared for the arrival of the football team before the game. They lined the path and played their hearts out, all for a team of football players who had their AirPods in the whole time. The team, who should be appreciating the hard work and dedication of the band the most, was completely tuned out. It honestly made me mad. The band works so hard, and invests just as much time into being great as the players do; they should be just as respected as the athletes they perform for.

Every game day morning, the band will “wake up Southwest” by playing and marching through the residential area. It’s a tradition that’s meant to get the most populated area of campus hyped for the big game. The reaction from students living there (especially the ones still in their dorms) is actually alarming. Some people even yell out their windows, telling the band to stop. I get that we all love some extra sleep, but it’s game day. It’s also a group of people who work very hard and had to get up very early to play for you, so have a little respect. You can sleep in on Sunday.

UMass Amherst
Original photo by Anumeha Rajvanshi

The UMass Marching Band halftime show had me sitting with wide eyes and a dropped jaw. Seeing a group that massive all playing in perfect unison, along with the synchronized movement of the Color Guard, was enough to literally bring me to tears. The band doesn’t just shine during halftime, though. Throughout the game, the music from the band section provides some much-needed energy and positivity. Sometimes football isn’t the most interesting thing in the world. Live music? Literally never gets old. I don’t even want to think about how dry the game day atmosphere would be without the marching band, and I think anybody who was in those stands would say the same. If you haven’t seen the show, GO TO THE NEXT HOME GAME. That’s an order. It’s literally a medley of Bruno Mars songs being played live by some of the most hardworking, dedicated individuals on campus. What more could you possibly ask for?!

The next time you’re contemplating whether or not you want to sit through a UMass football game, I highly recommend that you go for the halftime show. Forget about the team winning or losing; the marching band will never disappoint. If you’re in the UMass Marching Band or Color Guard, consider this my fan mail to you. Your hard work is seen and appreciated. I’m in awe of your dedication and talents. Game day would not be the same without you.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hanna Jane Kilduff

U Mass Amherst '24

When Hanna Jane isn't writing for Her Campus, you'll find her wandering aimlessly through thrift stores, listening to her color-coded playlists, or curled up under a blanket with her cat.