UMass Hillel’s 8th Annual “Ride To Provide”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This October 19th, UMass Hillel will be holding their 8th annual “Ride To Provide”, a bike ride/5K to support the amazing community service programs and projects of the UMass Hillel.  In years past, Hillel has taken UMass students on many meaningful trips that have been able to make a difference in so many people’s lives.  The Hillel has taken students to Nicaragua to help provide people there with access to heath care, it has taken students to New Orleans to help rebuild homes for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, and even to Israel to refurbish parks and homes together with Ethiopian immigrants.  Also in Israel, the UMass Hillel has even partnered with a youth center in order to create a community garden in a Druze village in the North.  Each of these trips has provided UMass students with a new outlook on life and a newfound appreciation for what they have.

The Ride To Provide is an event that helps to continue these incredible and life-changing community service projects that many UMass students are able to learn so much from.  It is a wonderful feeling to know that you were able to give back and make a difference in someone’s life and these trips have allowed students this opportunity, along with the opportunity to travel to other parts of the world and to experience different cultures.  While these people might speak a different language and have different traditions and customs, it is important to know that there is still always a way that we can help people, no matter where they come from and no matter how far apart we are.

Here are a few quotes from past participants about their experiences:

“When I was handing out food at a food pantry, I could see the difference I was making in people’s lives.” -UMass student

“I will be more aware of how fortunate I am and how every little act of kindness can really make a difference in someone’s life.” -UMass student

“After my alternative spring break trip, my life has totally been altered.  I’m choosing to focus my life on community service.” -UMass student

“I feel like I won’t take things for granted anymore.  Even though my life isn’t perfect, I have found a whole new appreciation for what I do have.” -UMass student 

The Ride To Provide has a 9, 18, and 36 mile route option along with the option of running or walking a 5K.  Following the event, there is also a post-ride celebration that includes a kosher catered lunch, raffles, and fun activities for kids, so bring your families!  This celebration also gives student groups and local businesses the opportunity to highlight their organizations.  

Grab some friends and form your team today!  If you register as a team of five or more participants from a non-profit ogranization, all team registration fees and funds that are raised can be split 50/50 between your team’s non-profit and Hillel.  Pre-register today and receive a freee Ride To Provide t-shirt!  Teams of five or more participants that register by October 10th can even get their team name printed on the back of their t-shirts!

For more information, contact Courtney Pupkin at (508) 297-2454 or cpupkin@external.umass.edu and “like” UMass Hillel’s Ride to Provide on Facebook now for more information and updates.

Register Today!

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst