This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The 2014 Homecoming Game proved to be a true homecoming when the UMass Minutemen had their first game on campus since 2011. On Saturday, September 27, the Minutemen played Bowling Green at McGuirk Stadium. When UMass entered the Mid-American Conference they needed to update their stadium to be able to host games and keep up with the activities of the team. While UMass upgraded McGuirk, home games were played at Gillete Stadium in Foxborough, MA. 

Fans including alumni and current students were excited to welcome the team back to UMass. The home game seemed to awaken fans that had given up on supporting the team. The day started off with a tailgate in the parking lots surrounding the stadium. Everywhere you walked, students and other fans were playing music from their cars, cooking hot dogs and hamburgers, playing corn hole and getting ready to support the Minutemen. The warm weather gave the feel of a summer day to the fall afternoon football game.                       

At this homecoming game, MinuteFan Way made its debut. Stadium Drive leading up to the football stadium was filled with free activities. Fans were entertained with face painting, photo booths, rock climbing and a mechanical bull. All those in attendance were entertained for hours before the game and everybody was hyped up to cheer on their team.

The players were also excited to be able to play at home with the support of a sold-out crowd. Before the game UMass football player Tyrell Smith said, “People are so excited. I’ve never heard so much football talk in my three years here,” he said. “A lot of people on campus are talking about how they can’t wait to come. Everybody always complains ‘I don’t want to come all the way to Gillette.’ Now all they’ve got to do is get up, come out and tailgate and walk over to the game.”

UMass lost the game 47-42, but a good time was had by all and players and coaches appreciated the support from fans. Coach Whipple said after the game, “We have to do something to make sure the fans come out the next time we’re here.” UMass will be playing two more games at McGuirk this year on Wednesday, November 12 and Friday, November 28, come out and show your school spirit!

Photo Sources: 1, 2,

Cecilia Hennessy

U Mass Amherst

My name is Cecilia Hennessy and I am the President of the Her Campus chapter at UMass Amherst. I am a senior Communications and Journalism major with a concentration in Broadcast Journalism. In my free time I enjoy running, taking photos, traveling and catching up on the latest news!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst