UMass photoshoot
UMass photoshoot
Original photo by Sofia Tempestoso

UMass Buildings’ Astrological Signs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you are a firm believer in star signs as a method of determining personality traits, compatibility, and future endeavors, or simply have a casual curiosity in astrology, matching people, places, and objects to the 12 astrological signs is an entertaining pastime. Much like the zodiac signs, each UMass building has its own quirks, features, and personalities. For this round of articles I thought it would be fun to match up buildings around the UMass campus to which star sign I think best represents the building. My go-to resource for all info regarding astrology is Co—Star

Capricorn

Whitmore Administration: The building responsible for housing the Bursar’s Office and all things admin. Just like a Capricorn ruled by responsibility, organization, discipline, and highly motivated. 

Aquarius

Olver Design Building: Its reputation for its cool architecture makes it stand out for sure, yet it’s not the only unique artistic building. Like a true Aquarian, The Design Building is quirky, artistic, and tries its best to be an individual, but in truth its charisma makes it a popular destination for many students. 

Pisces

Durfee Conservatory: A safe haven that allows you to work out all the emotions or to take time to meditate. Like a Pisces, the Conservatory holds a place for feeling a lot of emotions with an air of a dream-like state. A true getaway from the stresses of school.  

Aries

Rec Center: The center for achieving mental, emotional, and physical goals. The Rec Center is a place of high energy and always busy like an Aries. A place for strong ambitions, but may also push you to your limits. A humbling place for some.  

Taurus

Campus Center: The concrete of this building just goes to show the true  dependability of this building. It’s a place where students meet up at Blue Wall, the Covid testing hub, and for large gatherings in the auditorium. It’s extremely set in its ways, especially the odd Blue Wall hours, but according to one Taurean  “There’s Harvest, if nothing else.” (Joey Wolport, 2022.)  

Gemini

Isenberg: Chatty, social, a bit self absorbed. Much like any good business man or woman. Isenberg gives off Gemini vibes, I mean they are the poster child of UMass so they have large shoes to fill. Everyone here knows a little bit of everything, very analytical, and always in conversation, just like a Gemini. 

Cancer

W.E.B. Du Bois Library: The library is the heart and home of campus. Perfect for the homebody Cancers. During midterm and finals week the library is a refuge of tense emotions and has many outlets for a good cry.  

zodiac signs cancer pisces gemini?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Her Campus Media
Leo

Berk: The loud, boisterous dining hall with quite the reputation. Everybody knows Berk, and (almost) everyone loves Berk. Like a Leo, Berk loves to be in the spotlight, as it’s the hub for social interactions.  

Virgo

Integrated Sciences Building: Virgos are known for their practicality, intelligence, and solving problems. The ISB is a place of scientific discoveries, experiments, and students studying diligently for the A, so obviously it gives off Virgo energy. 

Libra

ILC: Housing Communications, Journalism, Linguistics, and Film; the core characteristics are connection, talking, and sharing ideas. Additionally, Libra’s are known to be particular about aesthetics, but the ILC is one of the more aesthetically nicer places on campus.  

Scorpio

South College: Scorpio’s sense of mystery and desire to confront deeper topics of life reminded me of English and philosophy which are departments in South College. The building itself has an interesting history as it was partially destroyed in a fire and much like a Scorpio.

Sagittarius

IPO Building: Okay so this one isn’t super glamorous, but the International Programs Office is the embodiment of Sagittarius. Each student who wants to expand their college experience by doing a semester (or year) abroad has to come here. Just like a Sagittarius wanting to absorb new experiences, new knowledge, and is optimistic of future travels, the IPO building gives this to students. 

Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

I have made this campus my home these past four years so I have gotten to know a good portion of the UMass buildings very well. The basis for my opinions on the astrological signs is rooted in memories that took place in these buildings or the general population that frequents them. The process of assigning the buildings to their zodiac partner was very nostalgic as it elicited many memories, emotions, and thoughts that took place in the mismatched architecture around the UMass campus — and I wouldn’t want it any other way.  

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Meghan Kean

U Mass Amherst '22

Meghan is a biochemistry major with a business minor at UMass. In her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, watching true crime, and drinking coffee!