UMass Amherst Standing in Solidarity at Ignite Your Right: Humanity Against Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I had the amazing opportunity to attend the rally “Ignite Your Right: Humanity Against Trump” last Friday on the Goodell Lawn. I will include quotes and anecdotes of my own, but I have chosen to keep the identities of those involved private in support of their safety in this current political and social climate.

While some may infer from the name that this event was meant for certain groupings, I promise that it was a space open to everyone who wanted to express their ideas and concerns about the future. The rally was altogether an astounding example of solidarity on the UMass Amherst campus, one that made me extremely proud to be a Minutewoman and a member of this diverse community. 

I walked to Goodell Lawn alone, and when I got there I felt anything but. Unfortunately, I know that many others who could have benefited from such a showing were unable to attend, and so I would like to give my experience in the hopes that it will provide the same comfort and inspiration. 

There was music, chanting, and strangers getting on stage for the first time in their lives simply because they felt moved and comfortable enough to share their story. Each person expressed their own emotions—fear, anger, sadness, frustration, or some combination of the four. On top of these concerns, though, was a message of commonality. We may come from different backgrounds and bring to the table many different perspectives, but we are all human beings.

And as we stood together on that cold windy day, there were others outside of our group who yelled and chanted at us “make America great again” and “build that wall.” I think these individuals were trying to get attention and cause trouble, but they were only met with peace. In fact, one speaker in particular recognized that while many of us are in pain, there are many Republicans and Trump supporters who have also felt fear these past few days. 

She courageously urged us to “Hug a Republican! Eat lunch with a Republican!” Her words and the message of unity at the rally reminded me of a key concept of Critical Race Theory. That is, even though two conflicting narratives may seem so at odds, there are almost always pieces of each story that can create interest convergence

This speaker asked us to promise her that we would show compassion and understanding to our fellow citizens because they are people just like us. Sadly, the context of their daily lives might be quite different from ours, as they truly believed that they were casting their vote for the change we seek. Many of these blue-collar families in the Midwest find Trump’s words disgusting, but they were still inspired by his other messages because of their honest fear for their suffering economies. As stories continue to emerge from states in the Midwest, we have to recognize that they felt their own frustrations and find ways to work together to unite our country, moving forward not with violence, but as one peaceful community.

Peaceful expression was one of the utmost important messages of this event, along with the responsibility that comes with privilege. 

I woke up Wednesday morning to a very dear friend in tears, who told me that while she had often been frustrated as a woman, now she was in fear because of her identity. While that struck me with deep sadness, it was even more disturbing to realize that there are many others out there who have felt this fear for their safety—simply because of their identity—long before this election. 

This event was a recognition of that long-standing pain and how it has now spread across so many demographics. People who became radicalized during the Black Lives Matter movement, for instance, joined the event to further their dreams of solidarity in this time of fear through all of the outlets which were represented. One member, a Mexican-American musician, said that he was excited “to see all the people here, and in solidarity” knowing that he was “not alone in anything.” He expressed an aspiration to ignite in others the same commitment to political and social organizations that he has found within himself. He said you have to “struggle to go past your boundaries and your comfortability because you’ve never had to talk to a trans person before, and then… learn what it means to have your own privilege against being transgendered.” He added, “That’s hard, you know, it’s not easy. I just hope that people try harder.”   

Two students from Mount Holyoke joined the group and also expressed their comfort in the welcoming conversation that this rally offered. Other attendees believed that this was the beginning of a movement that would bring us forward and be the next big progressive movement. They said that many shared this hope—they talked to many people that would not have approached them otherwise, indicating that communities are coming together and that millennials have a voice that will hopefully “plant a seed in their generation to get involved in politics.”

These were all people of different backgrounds who wanted to work together to get their voices heard. They pointed out parallels between these past few days, the events of the 1960s, and even the Women’s Suffrage Movement. In moments like these, I saw an ability in my peers to inspire each other through deep human connections. As scary as this future might be for many right now, it is important to still try and come together. 

On Goodell Lawn, students from the Five Colleges expressed a sincere hope to move away from violence and hostility in order to use their anger and sadness constructively. 

I hope that this comforts people of the many identities that Trump has offended, because on this campus you have people who will stand with you and who have promised to protect you. For others outside of the UMass community, this movement has only just begun and it will not go on without you. You are not alone. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

I am a double major in political science and legal studies and am also seeking a certificate in public policy. I'm an avid reader and writer and am proud to be the event coordinator for my chapter! UMass Amherst Class of 2018
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst