Ugly Days: What to Do When You Don’t Feel Your Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We all have those days. You wake up, look in the mirror, and go “ugh, I look like crap.” You’ve got a huge zit, your hair won’t cooperate and your favorite shirt makes you look fat. You’re having an “ugly day.”

Ugly days are simply days when you feel less confident, and it happens to all of us. Maybe you didn’t get enough sleep, maybe you had a late night junk food binge, or maybe it’s purely psychological. Whatever the cause, there are a few ways to deal with an ugly day.

1. Realize that it’s not the end of the world. No one is going to scream and run for cover the second you leave your room. Chances are, most people won’t notice any differences in your appearance.

2. Work with what you’ve got. Huge, red zit? Dab on some cover up. Bad hair day? Put in a ponytail. Feeling bloated? Put on some clothes that flatter your other features. Once you see that these problems aren’t so bad, you’ll start feeling better.

3. Another option is to just bum it in sweats the whole day. Everyone has those days they just want to be in sweats, so why not? Sometimes, just being comfortable in cozy sweats can make you feel better.

4. Think about all your good qualities, inside and out. As cheesy as it sounds, looking in a mirror and listing all the things you like about yourself really can make you feel better.

5. Use the day as an excuse to pamper yourself. Giving yourself a mani-pedi, relaxing with a face mask, or using a deep conditioning treatment that leaves your hair silky soft not only makes you look better, but it will also relax you.

6. Finally, realize that it’s just one day. It will be over before you know it, and then you’ll get your beauty sleep. So on your next ugly day, don’t freak. Just take a deep breath, relax, and you’ll see it’s not as bad you think.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Irina Kovari

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior marketing major at UMass, with a passion for writing and equal rights. I'm on MASSPIRG at UMass, drink too much caffeine, and eat too much chocolate.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst