Tinder?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Tinder?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Types of Guys You’ll Find on Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

**Disclaimer: These are all generalizations based on personal opinions. No guy is the same, and everyone is different.**

Tinder is a hotspot for singles (and not-so-singles) who are looking for a variety of things such as a hot date, a long-term relationship, or even just entertainment for when they’re bored. There’s no telling what you’ll find when you enter this crazy realm of online dating. There are great guys out there, and guys who aren’t so great. In my experience, here are the types of guys you’ll find on Tinder, along with some pros and cons:

The Gym Rat

These guys consist of bodybuilders, athletes, and those guys who spend their lives at the gym 24/7. We’ll refer to him as “Jake.” Oh my goodness, if I had a nickel for every time a Jake that I dated lectured me about his protein supplements, pre-workouts, and aminos, I could pay off my student loans! What the hell is an amino anyway??

Don’t get me wrong, if you’re looking for a workout buddy or a guy who’s passionate about health and fitness, Jake is your man. However, be prepared to work around his tedious workout schedule, accommodate his 3-hour eating schedule, get used to an early bedtime, and listen to his book of information about macros, cheat meals, and carb cycling. 

You can usually identify a Jake by his profile. His bio will typically consist of the weightlifting emoji and the phrase, “gym = life.” Additionally, every photo will be a shirtless picture or a snap of him lifting weights. Not to mention, he’s got great abs ;)

The Bachelorette strip dodgeball
Photo by ABC / Craig Sjodin

The Guy Who Likes to Party

This man (hereby referred to as “Luke”) is usually up to trouble. Luke’s bio no doubtedly reads, “Here for a good time, not a long time.” Every picture will be a group photo of him and the rest of his frat buddies. Hobbies and pastimes include day drinking, beer pong, picking up girls, and “hangin’ with the boyz.” He’s usually drunk and never remembers your previous conversations.

To identify a Luke, look for pastel-colored shirts and shorts, a big cigar in his mouth, and sunglasses somewhere on his body. These guys are the life of the party and they know how to have fun – they are never short of fun events and outings. If you’re looking for a fun and outgoing guy, Lukes are the way to go. 

The Guy Who’s Almost Always High

We’ll call him “Max.” Max is a funny guy. His bio has the fall leaf emoji and he looks very chill in all of his pictures. He’s very laid back and carefree. Max is not a drama queen by any means and is usually looking for someone to hangout with. This man is as neutral as they come and makes for a great person to seek out if you don’t like drama. He usually has some pretty crazy stories to share, as well.

The Funny Guy

The Funny Guy (or “Zach”) is a great conversationalist. His profile consists of lots of jokes, sarcasm, and even elaborate profile presentations. He’ll probably make you laugh out loud and always has a good story to share. Zach is clever and witty, and he loves to tease people. This guy is a great person to talk to when you’re looking for a good conversation or if you need a pick-me-up. However, some Zachs lack a serious side and don’t provide a mature stance when you’re trying to have a serious conversation.

couple smiling holding hands
Photo by Randy Kinne from Unsplash

The Achilles’ Heel

This man (“Noah”) is perfect for you. He’s just your type and everything you’re looking for in a man. Noah is attractive, kind, considerate, funny, smart, charming, romantic, and all things perfect. You have great conversations, you share all the same interests, and you get along perfectly. You may even think this guy is the one! However, Noah has a tragic flaw – a deal-breaker that you cannot live with. It’s devastating to discover this tragic flaw, but ultimately Noah can no longer be “Mr. Perfect.”

The Adventurer

This guy is the ultimate daredevil. We can call him “Sam.” His pictures include his breathtaking travel photos and jaw-dropping adventures (skydiving is almost always a giveaway.) He has an endless list of amazing stories to share and great insights into the places he’s traveled. Sam has been to countless places all over the world and still continues to travel. He has a large bucket list of things he aspires to do and see, and he’s most likely looking for a travel companion to do adventurous things with. If you’re a traveler or if you’re looking for a fun and adventurous lifestyle, this is the guy for you! However, if you’re a homebody, Sams are most likely not the type to stay in one place for long.

person holding woman\'s hand on top of hill
Yoann Boyer/Unsplash

While there are tons of guys with all different personalities and interests, these are the most prominent characters I’ve come across and dated on Tinder. I’ve had great experiences, horror stories, crazy adventures, and more. All in all, you never know what you’ll find on Tinder, but you’re sure to come across one or more of these guys on your search. Happy swiping! 

Alexandria Faneuf

U Mass Amherst '21

Ali is studying Communication and Journalism major at UMass Amherst. She loves traveling, watching movies, health, fitness, acting, and writing. Ali hopes to inspire, entertain, and motivate others through her writing and content creation. Get to know her better by following her on Instagram @alimorgan413.