This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As the leaves begin to change and the temperature starts to drop you might be beginning to swap out your dresses and tanks for your jeans and chunky knits, but your wardrobe isn’t the only thing that should be changing as we journey into the colder months. Your skincare should also change up throughout the year to account for the transitioning seasons. One of my favorite things about living in New England is experiencing all four seasons, but it can be hard to keep up with how quickly the weather changes. Fall is a great time to repair your skin from those long beach days and prepare for the cold winter ahead. Follow some of these skincare swaps and tips to make your skincare transition from summer to fall effortless. 

Switch: Makeup Wipes

For: A Cleansing Balm

With the weather getting colder the days of sweat and oil being a problem from humid days fades behind us. Dry and cold air can leave skin feeling dry, and a cleansing balm can add an extra boost of moisture that your skin may need. Makeup wipes are an easy and convenient way to remove your makeup, but it can tug on your skin and add extra exfoliation that may irritate your skin. Cleansing balms are hydrating and gentle on the skin which makes them a perfect choice for the fall and winter. I have been using The Body Shop’s cleansing balm for years and I love it! Some other cleansing balm options to check out are Farmacy’s cleansing balm for guarenteed clean ingredients or Pond’s more affordable option. 

Switch: Gel Cleanser

For: A Cream Cleanser

Gel cleansers are a good option for the hotter months when your skin doesn’t need that additional hydration boost, but switching to a cream cleanser can combat dry skin. Cream cleansers nourish your face and leave skin feeling soft and hydrated. Some of my top picks for cream cleasers are Korres’ Greak Yogurt Cleanser and Glossier’s Jelly Cleanser

Things to Keep/Add 

While it is important to swap some things out in your skincare routine there are other things that should remain constant throughout the seasons. As we don’t feel the sun’s effects as much as the weather gets colder it becomes easy to forget sunscreen, but sunscreen is an essential product that should be applied everyday. Sunscreen combats premature aging and protects your skin from harmful UV rays that are always present regardless if it is a cloudy or sunny day. Pick a day time moisturizer with SPF such as Supergoop’s day moisturizer or Khiel’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer.

Another item to add in your skincare routine if it isn’t present already is a good lip moisturizer. In order to combat chapped lips during the colder months I always carry chapstick on me during the day and put on a heavier moisturizer on before bed. Some of my favorite chapsticks are Fresh’s Sugar Lip Treatment and of course the classic Burt’s Bees Chapstick. Before bed I either reach for First Aid Beauty’s Lip Balm or Rosebud Salve in order to wake up with smooth and hydrated lips. 

These small tips can help your skin adjust to the fall weather and begin to prepare for the really cold winter months ahead of us!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Julia Brown

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia Brown is currently a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying nutrition and public health. She loves hanging with friends and finding cute coffee shops in her free time. Feel free to follow her on instagram @juliabrown15
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst