Style > Beauty

Top 5 Unconventional Uses for Makeup Products I Have Found In 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Makeup has always been about self-expression to me. I see it as an art form, a play of shadows and light to create illusions that might not even necessarily be visually appealing, but convey a certain mood or character. Just like in the world of visual arts, in the world of cosmetics there are multiple purposes to every utensil and tool. My deepest respect lies with makeup artists (MUAs) that have innovated the use of ordinary makeup products to serve a new purpose and to transform or improve their creations by taking them to the next level. Over the course of this year especially, I have become more involved in the makeup world. As I explored Instagram page after Instagram page, I came to find really unique uses for daily products, and developed a great appreciation for the skill of the innovators themselves. It is near impossible to present you with everything I found and learned, so I decided to compile a list of the most useful, easy, and implementable tips that I have discovered.

Eyeshadow Lipstick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRgB9glbVts

While this trend might seem very ordinary by now, when I originally stumbled upon it in February I was a little baffled. Eyeshadow is a powder, I thought. What if I swallow it? I pondered. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that if it’s safe to come near your eyeballs, it’s safe to touch your tongue. The idea of this trend is simple. You can use eyeshadow to layer color onto lipstick or lip gloss, or just use it as a lip color with a sticky, clear base of some sort. The eyeshadow is perfect for creating ombre, faded, and multi-shaded looks without having to mix two or more lipsticks together and potentially ruin the products.

Lipstick Blush

Apparently, it looks more natural to have blush that matches your lipstick (to a certain extent). Of course, I don’t mean that you should tint your cheeks blue to match your navy lips, but if your lip shade is a more conventional red, pink, or even an orangey-peach color, many expert MUAs recommend trying to match your cheeks to your lips. As said by Sir John (a L’Oreal Paris celebrity MUA), “When picking blush and lip colors it is important to pick related colors, but the colors do not need to be twins.” So, someone came up with the creative and simple solution to simply use your lipstick as blush as well. From my experience, most people do this with pink or light red lipsticks (as a dark red might be a little too extreme), but you are welcome to play around with whatever colors you like. Simply dab a bit of your lipstick directly on your cheeks or on the back of your hand and apply with a brush. Blend until the look is smooth and looks natural, and you have yourself perfectly rosy cheeks!

Lipstick for Contour and Highlights

Clearly, lipstick is a versatile product. Besides being used for blush, it can also be used for contouring and highlights. This is best achievable using more neutral, nude tones that match your skin according to Glamour Magazine. In order to contour, draw a thin line with a darker lipstick in the hollows of your face (such as your cheekbones and temples) and blend it out for a natural look. In order to highlight, do the same thing but on protrusions on your face (like the tip of your nose) with a lighter shade and blend. While we are on the topic of lipstick, I might also add that it can be used for tattoo coverups, to even out skin tones, and even as a marker in dire situations.

Hair Dye for Eyebrows

Some of us struggle with super light eyebrow hair to the point where it might appear invisible. I have seen both my sister and some of the MUAs I follow online use normal hair dye to darken their eyebrows to suit their needs. According to Beautyepic.com, this is a safe way to dye your eyebrows, and if done correctly, the results will look natural and last longer than normal eyebrow dye. However, you have to be careful to not allow any contact with skin, eyelids, or forehead to prevent any unplanned staining. In my opinion, hair dye also opens up a whole world of opportunity for color play because it is not as restricted to neutral colors such as blonde, gray, brown and black that are normally used for eyebrows.

Henna or Eyeliner Freckles

Freckles can give any look an extra sprinkle of innocence and draw attention to (or hide) certain features like your cheekbones, your eyes, the bridge of your nose, or unwanted pimples. I assumed for quite some time that using an eyebrow pencil could help you achieve a freckled complexion, but I never thought of using a brownish eyeliner or even henna for a more permanent effect. Henna will stay on your skin for up to two weeks at a time, and comes in varying shades and colors. You probably do not want green freckles, but for those of you who have darker skin tones, there are options of dark brown or even black henna so your cute faux-freckles show! There are also light brown shades, reddish shades, orange, and even white (if you’d prefer to do a reversed version of freckles). 

This abbreviated list of all the innovations the makeup world has experienced doesn’t come close to scratching the surface of the ingenuity of its artists. The hacks I just listed off are only the most popular, easy, or well known tricks. It would not surprise me if there are little tricks and strategies being invented on a daily basis by artists who are trying to add that extra pop to their creations. This list also doesn’t encompass self-care products such as vaseline, facial creams, moisturizers, eyelash curlers, and self tanners that have also been incorporated into cosmetic masterpieces. I truly encourage you to explore this upside down world of makeup on your own. It’s tons of fun, and you might find that a lot of these tricks are life-savers or just add that little extra something to your look!

Meydan Kronrod

U Mass Amherst '23

Meydan Kronrod is a freshman at UMass Amherst, studying Nutrition on the Dietetics track. She is passionate about preventative medicinal practices, holistic approaches to diseases of lesser severity, and exercise as a mode of stress and illness prevention. She enjoys finding unusual forms of movement that make staying active fun and varied, as well as encouraging a moderate, intuitive lifestyle. Meydan's writing will focus mainly on mental and physcial health, exercise, and occasionally beauty and self care.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst