This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Photography has always been a passion of mine, but I didn’t start taking it seriously until about two years ago. Now I can’t imagine my life without it. Photography has changed my life and pushed me to explore my own creativity and the beauty this world has to offer. I take photos to share with the world what makes me happy, what gives me an irreplaceable sense of fulfillment, and I want to share that with you.

So here are some tips if you’re looking to try your hand at photography!

Anna Schultz-Friends On Hike Close Up
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Practice, practice, practice!

Take pictures! This sounds obvious, but the only way to get comfortable with your camera and to start training your eye is to just go out and take pictures. You don’t need a fancy camera, use your phone! The beginning is all about just going out there and finding beauty in everything. Soon enough you’ll train your eye to create compositions and find those moments in the seemingly mundane. Take pictures of anything and everything, and try to get creative. Grab a buddy, head downtown, and have at it!

Get to know your camera

Your camera is your best friend, so put in the effort to get to know it. Turn that dial to Manual and play around with the camera’s ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Mastering those key elements will allow you to truly manipulate your images to align with your creative vision.

If you’re struggling with learning how to use your camera (I know I totally did), try using a film camera! There is usually a built-in light meter (there are plenty of apps if not) that helps you figure out the correct aperture and shutter speed. Getting that hands-on experience throughout the whole process of taking the pictures, processing the film, and printing in a dark room really helps you understand the inner workings of a camera and ultimately help you get more in touch with your digital camera.

purse flatlay
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

#yesfilter

What can really make or break a picture is the editing. There is this notion that natural and #nofilter is better, but I disagree. Editing is meant to enhance a picture, it’s the final hurrah in the message you’re trying to convey. After all, photography is an art. Like a painter carefully makes creative choices in their colors and composition, so does a photographer with their pictures. Editing is probably the most time consuming part, and the most rewarding. Like taking pictures, editing improves with practice. Personally, I use Lightroom for my more professional shoots and VSCO for my more casual stuff. Sometimes, I use a mix of both. There are various discounts for students so take advantage of them! 

Find your style

Once you are more comfortable using your camera and editing, figure out what and how you like to photograph. Are you a nature photographer? Fashion photographer? A mix of everything? The more you keep going, the more you figure out what you like. Same goes for editing. Your editing style doesn’t have to be consistent across the board. Different shoots have different vibes (hence different edits), but as you grow you’ll discover your preferences and develop your own unique style.

Flaunt what you got!

Sharing your photos with the world is a HUGE ego boost! The moment I made my website and Instagram account I was compelled to take more photos and really give it my all, and you can really see the difference. I became more motivated than ever to share pictures with my followers, even if my only followers are my friends and my parents. Personally, having those platforms not only motivates me to give it my 110%, but it allows me to view my work as a cohesive whole and directs the future of my photography. Finding your style is the cherry on top.

With these tips in mind, go out and photograph!

Canon Iced Latte Sightglasscoffee
Amy Cho / Spoon
All images courtesy of Her Campus Media Library.

Danielle Efrat

U Mass Amherst '23

Danielle is a Junior majoring in Art History and minoring in Art and Education at UMass Amherst. She is passionate about all things photography, travel, music, and her dogs, Bruno & Buddy, which you can see pictures of on her Instagram @daniellefrat
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst