This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re one of the 689 million active users on TikTok, you’re likely familiar with the idea of the app having many different “sides.” Whether you’re on “Straight TikTok,” “Alt TikTok,” or somewhere in between, the side you’re on is likely catered perfectly towards you and your niche interests. Today, I’m going to introduce you to (or further familiarize you with) a side of TikTok that is all about neurodivergency—particularly in regards to ADHD. As someone with ADHD, I think it’s great that users are able to speak about different ADHD-related experiences they’ve had in order to spread awareness and educate others. However, with the rise in these videos and “Neurodivergent TikTok,” many are starting to wonder if it’s becoming less of an educational opportunity and more of a trend and opportunity to rack up a large number of views. Personally, I believe that making neurodivergency the latest trend will have quite a few moral implications, the most notable of which I’ll be mentioning below.

First off, let’s make one thing clear: there is a fine line between speaking about genuine experiences with ADHD versus trying to make “relatable” content that can potentially spread misinformation. A few months ago, there was a trend going around TikTok where users would share a childhood experience with neurodivergency. (Content warning for the link in the following sentence: the video mentions trichotillomania.) The creator of the trend clearly meant for it to be about sharing early experiences with mental illness and/or neurodivergency. While I’m all for those kinds of TikToks I’ve unfortunately come across many that make me cringe—it seems like they’re trying to capitalize on views and likes by adding to the trend. For example, TikToks such as this seem like they’re just labeling anything “relatable” as neurodivergent in order to gain a few seconds of online fame. I know we’re all guilty of trying to go viral, but something about using an audio about neurodivergency to try to gain popularity on the app just doesn’t sit right with me. Not only does it raise the likelihood of spreading false information throughout TikTok, it also invalidates real experiences that neurodivergent individuals have had.

Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media
Of course, who’s to judge what does and doesn’t count as an indicator of neurodivergency? Certainly not me, or other TikTok users, for that matter. But that won’t stop many from trying. Looking through comment sections of neurodivergent TikToks, the two most popular comments you’ll see are likely along the lines of: “Remember not to be self-diagnosing!” and “OMG! I don’t have ADHD, but my For You Page thinks I do!” Both of those conflicting sentiments are frustrating, but for completely different reasons. While I do agree that it’s a bit ridiculous for people to jump to the conclusion that they have ADHD based on a TikTok alone, I don’t think it’s necessarily something to avoid at all costs. Before I had an official diagnosis, I spent hours doing research on a plethora of websites to see if having ADHD was truly a possibility for me (spoiler alert: it was!) and was then able to bring it up to my doctor and get diagnosed. However, this isn’t the case for many people. Not only is there a monetary barrier, many people aren’t well-enough educated on ADHD to realize it’s something they may have. So in the spirit of spreading awareness, I think “Neurodivergent TikTok” is a good thing, and as long as people aren’t using a 60-second video as an official diagnosis, I don’t think it’s right to try to gatekeep this knowledge from them.

Having said that, I will admit that the hundreds of “LOL! My For You Page thinks I have ADHD!” comments definitely rub me the wrong way. Honestly, I can’t put my finger on why. Maybe it’s because they feel sort of invalidating in a way. While I understand the rush of emotions that can come with having a realization of that size and importance, it’s also imperative to remember that ADHD isn’t just a fun trend, it’s a legitimate mental health condition. To see hundreds upon thousands of users making these kinds of comments feels like the severity of the condition is being lessened, in a way. Not to mention the sense of invalidation that comes with seeing TikToks spreading false information or outdated stereotypes about ADHD; it’s more than just getting easily distracted, and seeing an enormous slew of users overlooking every other complexity that comes with the condition is incredibly frustrating.

Overall, I can understand both points of view. While I’m all for spreading knowledge and awareness about ADHD, it has to be done in the right way. It shouldn’t be used by neurotypical people as a trend to capitalize off of, and it most certainly should not be used as an official diagnosis. Though I’m not one to be dictating exactly what “Neurodivergent TikTok” should look like going forward, I think a good starting point would be to come from a place of empathy, mindfulness, and truly understanding when to use your voice to add to a discussion versus when to sit back, stop talking, and genuinely sympathize with others.

Her Campus Media

Katie Ellsworth

U Mass Amherst '24

Katie (she/her) is a content editor for the University of Massachusetts Amherst chapter. She is a sophomore double majoring in film studies and communication. In her free time, you can typically find her napping with her dog, making YouTube videos, streaming on Twitch, or eating bagels!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst