Thoughts Had Listening to Zayn’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

No matter how much we may want to keep denying it, it can no longer be ignored. Zayn Malik has officially moved on from One Direction (sobs!) and has released his first solo album. To make matters worse, it was released on March 25, 2016, exactly ONE YEAR since the announcement of Zayn’s departure from 1D… talk about a little bit of a slap in the face.

If you’re emotionally ready for it, you can listen to Zayn’s new album on Spotify or download it on iTunes. To brace yourself, here are a few very fitting GIFs and jumbled thoughts to describe each song. Get ready for a rollercoaster of feels… 

1. MiNd Of MiNdd (Intro)

Still silently crying listening to this and trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is Zayn and only Zayn’s album

2. PILLOWTALK

So we’ll piss off the neighbors!!

3. iT’s YoU

Absolutely AMAZING. So stunning. His voice. Those Falsettos. I have goosebumps all over. 

4. BeFoUr

Bopping along in my seat to this one all day. Also Zayn is absolutely killing this R&B and I am digging it. 

5. sHe

Five songs in and this one is my favorite at the moment.. definitely one a lot of girls can relate to

6. dRuNk

“Right now I’m emotionALLL” ME TOO, ZAYN. Me too. 

7. INTERMISSION: floWer

This blew me away. When the guitar started up I was honestly not expecting what accompanied it, which was Zayn singing lyrics in Urdu, something I am honestly so proud of him for and happy that he did. Translated into English you can see just how beautiful some of the lyrics are: until the flower of this love has blossomed / This heart won’t be at peace / Give me your heart / Give me your heart / Give me your heart

8. rEaR vIeW

“Heard about all that you’ve been through and it sounds like you need a friend.” I do. Please be my friend, Zayn. Please. (On a more realistic note, this song wasn’t my favorite but it does have a good beat!)

9. wRoNg (featuring Kehlani)

The only collaboration on this album, which gets you thinking about future collaboration possibilities… Drake, Miguel, and more… kind of got distracted by that…

10. fOoL fOr YoU

I freaking love this song and I think it’s because it reminds me of something 1D could put out (yeah, sue me.. still caught up on 1D). It’s a slower ballad and sounds very different from the R&B we’ve heard so far. 

11. BoRdErSz

Ehhhhhhhhhh

12. tRuTh

Mainly love this one because I love a good Zayn falsetto… like his voice though. How?! 

13. lUcOzAdE

Another eh for me.. no powerful high notes really, but a good beat

14. TiO

Sexy with a capital S. Oh my goodness. 

15. BLUE

Could honestly fall asleep to this song and I say that in the best way possible. It was super calming and soothing 

16. BRIGHT

Bumping to the beat of this one 

17. LIKE I WOULD

“He won’t love you like I would.” I believe that and I’m ready for you to love me, Zayn.

18. SHE DON’T LOVE ME

I was emotionally drained at this point… 18 songs of just Zayn is a lot to handle in the best way possible.

Although conflicted at first, I definitely recommend everyone going and listening to Zayn’s new album! You won’t be disappointed.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Class of 2019 journalism major at UMass Amherst! Absolutely love makeup, fashion, and everything in between.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst