This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’m a total sucker for an inspirational quote. I follow an absurd amount of Instagram accounts that post daily inspiring quotes or real-life stories of triumph and success. Needless to say, I’ve come across my fair share of quotes that are supposed to change your outlook on life, but only a handful are so memorable that they actually transformed my perspective. So, if you’re having an off day and need some extra encouragement or want to rethink life a little bit, here are my top five favorite quotes that actually transformed the way I go about life.

“Don’t lament so much about how your career is going to turn out. You don’t have a career. You have a life. Do the work. Keep the faith.” – Cheryl Strayed

When I first heard this quote by Cheryl Strayed, my heart sank a little bit. Everyone is chasing this grand goal of finding the best job and paycheck to live the best life. While a career can absolutely impact one’s overall happiness, we’re on this planet to enjoy life, and it’s important to take a step back and remember this the next time you’re caught up in the stress of perfecting your career.

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore

Maybe it’s just the “Harry Potter” nerd in me speaking, but this quote is everything I need to hear during times of sadness or self-doubt. First off, when I hear this I immediately think back to good times with family, snuggling up watching a Harry Potter movie marathon. It reminds me that happiness is a mindset that can be reignited at one’s disposal to find a silver lining in the worst of situations.

“Don’t worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” – Jack Canfield

Imagine all the incredible things in life that wouldn’t exist if the inventor was too afraid to fail. The only person stopping you from chasing your dreams is the little voice inside your head warning you of the risks of failure. Instead, our brains should warn us of the opportunities that will pass us by if we do not take that leap of faith. Whatever your leap may be, I hope you jump with a running start.

“To live your greatest life, you must first become a leader within yourself. Take charge of your life, begin attracting and manifesting all that you desire.” – Sonia Ricotti

I am a huge believer in the Law of Attraction and manifestation. The energy that we surround ourselves with is the energy we become, so take control of your power! I love journaling as a form of manifestation, it allows me to organize my thoughts, and is even more likely that I will get something done if I write it down. This is your sign to take control of the things that you can and start manifesting your future. 

“One person’s beauty is not the absence of your own.” – Unknown

Whenever I catch myself thinking a little too long over why I can’t look like other people, I try to remember this quote and get myself out of that detrimental thought process. Comparison is a thief of joy, and all too often we fall victim to its effects. If you ever feel discouraged when you see someone you think is beautiful, ask yourself what it is about their beauty that takes yours away. The answer? Nothing.

Caroline Roscoe

U Mass Amherst '23

Caroline is a contributing writer for the University of Massachusetts Amherst where she is currently a Junior studying communications and journalism on the public relations track with minors in business and Spanish. In her spare time, Caroline loves to go on long walks with her dog Daisy and spend time with her friends in Amherst!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst