There’s No Place Like Home: Get there and Spare GHG’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The semester is wrapping up and it’s becoming time to pack up all of your clothes, put the heat on the lowest possible setting and head home for the holidays. As the semester comes to a close, some students are dying to get home, while others may kick off the break by staying put for a few carefree nights at the Amherst bars. Either way, UMass generally clears out for the holiday season and subsequent classless weeks.

Getting home on your own schedule doesn’t have to mean driving solo or asking mom to gas up the family Suburban to come pick you up. There are lots of viable transportation options available for the UMass collegiette’s traveling needs.

Hit The Tracks

Amherst has its very own Amtrak station, providing ticket holders with a vast selection of destinations to choose from. Trains are a nice alternative to cars if you live far away- you can avoid traffic and bring as much stuff as you can comfortably carry. Student Advantage cards are available, which can provide 15% savings on train fare.

Hop On The Bus

The Peter Pan bus has cushy seats, plenty of room for storage and will pick you up at Haigis Mall to take you as far as Delaware. Though maybe not the most glamorous option, taking the bus often costs less than the gas you would need to make the same trip. Cozy up with a good book or magazine and let someone else worry about the road.

Don’t Go It Alone

Taking your car home over break can be a necessity, but it doesn’t have to be just you and the open road. Consider coordinating with people you know who are from the same hometown area or even a few exits up on the Pike. Do you purposefully avoid your high school comrades? Check out rideshare services like RideBuzz- there is a group specific to UMass Amherst where students, faculty and staff can post available seats and search for riding buddies.
Need an extra incentive to consider more sustainable travel options for the winter break? UMass has a contract with NuRide, an incentive program where users can track their alternative trips and earn discounts to local and national retailers.
Whatever mode of transportation you choose, travel safely and consider the best possible option for you and your environment.