This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There was a viral TikTok book this summer called People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry. It was a great book and would 10/10 recommend it for a light read, the name is a little misleading. It was more about one boy and one girl falling in love than the people they met on vacation. The concept, however, is very intriguing and got me thinking about the kinds of people we meet while studying abroad. 

The Locals

Everybody I’ve ever met that has traveled to Ireland says that the best part of Ireland is the people. After spending five months there, I stand by their conclusions. Everything you need to know about the Irish people can be told in two anecdotes. The first day I was in Ireland, fresh off the airport bus with no data or international service, I of course got lost on my attempt to walk to my apartment building. Dragging two suitcases and a backpack, I walked up to a taxi waiting at a stop light, knocked on his window, and asked him to pull over. He generously did and I had a more genuine conversation with him than I’ve ever had with an Uber driver back home. I essentially got a city tour for the price of a taxi ride. 

Secondly, I was graciously invited to lunch at a friend’s family’s home (I know that’s a long chain but it does speak to their hospitality). “Lunch” was a three-course meal. The moment I finished my last spoonful of soup, the host was already at my side picking it up to refill. Once I was stuffed to the brim, they brought out homemade scones and apple pie, which were also not one-serving optional. Afterward, they asked if I wanted coffee or tea to which I responded “Oh no thank you, I am so full I don’t even think I could drink anything.” I was handed a cup of tea. 

The “I’m 100% Irish” People

The thing about studying abroad in Ireland is that a lot of people from Massachusetts study there. Americans, especially those from Massachusetts, liked to brag that they were 100% Irish. This did not get them very far, though, because if you tell an Irish person you are 100% Irish, they will tell you they are too, and what about it? Percent nationality doesn’t mean much in Europe. 

The Solo Travelers

Solo travelers are a different breed of people. I thought traveling “alone” with a friend was being independent. Figuring out how to catch a train to another city in a different country that speaks a foreign language without anyone to lean on? That is being independent. More than logistical problem solving, I admired solo travelers for their ability to enjoy their own company. I still believe that experiencing travel is something precious to be able to share with other people, but I don’t doubt there is something I could learn from doing it on my own. 

The Friends

Here is the ending you were all expecting. More than anybody else I met abroad, my favorite was the friends I made. Having the support and shared experience of friends enriched every new experience. I visited more countries than I ever imagined I would, but when I look back, some of my favorite memories are those in my own apartment. Being trapped with my roommates inside for a week while we were all quarantined or taking a walk to get gelato after dinner for something sweet is what they mean when they say enjoy the little things. Four months later and oceans apart, our friendships still hold strong. It is a loaded statement that I made friends for life, but I say it with confidence.

Mouthwatering food is even better with a conversation with a local waiter. Beautiful architecture is more beautiful when you have a friend to look at it with. A hike is better when you can laugh with the other tourists struggling through it. People make the experience. It was a fun brain exercise to create archetypes of the people I met abroad, but these truly were generalizations. Every person I met was an individual and made our shared interaction unique. The amalgamation of these interactions made my time abroad.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Jillian Hughes

U Mass Amherst '23

Jillian is a senior at Umass Amherst majoring in biology and public health. She currently serves as the UMass chapter's treasurer. Her favorite things are traveling, chocolate chip cookies, and listening to podcasts on long walks.