UMass Amherst campus pond
UMass Amherst campus pond
Katherine Dickey

The Top 5 Things About UMass I Missed Over the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While being home in Connecticut for the summer, I couldn’t help but miss my UMass essentials that I take advantage of when I’m here. Although the stress of senior year is scary, I couldn’t wait to get back to Amherst and get to experience all of my favorite on-campus things, places, and people. Here are the five things I was eagerly anticipating leading up to my return to campus for the fall semester!

Peet’s coffee

Living in New England, there’s a Dunkin’ around every corner. However, getting to go to Peet’s before (or after) class is one of my favorite things about being on campus. Also, dining dollars don’t feel like real money so it’s basically free coffee! #GirlMath. My go to order is always an iced caramel macchiato with almond milk — the perfect pick me up on a stressful day that keeps me energized throughout my long days of classes. 

the train next to my house

I’m living off campus for the second year in a row and my house is conveniently located on top of the railroad tracks. Twice a day the train comes by — recently at 10 p.m. — and although it’s loud, it’s one of those loud noises that’s kind of nice. We get to be in a super quiet area, except when the train comes twice a day. When I’m home, I can hear the train in my town too (though not as close), and it reminds me of being at school and vise versa. I didn’t expect to miss the train over the summer, and I was surprised that I felt like something was missing every day when I didn’t get to hear it right outside my window. 

the comm hub

As a communication major, I basically live in the ILC. When I’m looking for somewhere to sit between classes, eat my lunch, or just chat with friends, I always suggest sitting in the Communication Hub. Located on the third floor of the ILC, the Comm Hub is a large area for communication majors (or non-communication majors!) to organize, get their work done, connect with an advisor, or just relax. There’s a variety of spaces to sit, including tables or comfy couches, and lots of natural light thanks to the space’s many windows. I spend basically every day there and love being able to get my work done before heading home at the end of a long day.

green fields wraps

How could I not include my most favorite food on campus!? Green Fields is my favorite dining location out of everything UMass has to offer. My go-to order is either a cobb salad wrap, or a buffalo chicken wrap. Both are the perfect fuel for my brain when I’m on campus, and nothing else tops these wraps. Although the lines can be long sometimes, you’ll find me waiting for my perfect wrap almost everyday. I tried to replicate my favorites at home, but it just wasn’t the same. The first place I went when I returned to campus for the semester was, of course, Green Fields. 

my friends

Most importantly, I missed my friends over the summer! Being an out of state student means that a lot of the friends I’ve made at UMass are from Massachusetts, and are not located near me at home. I got to see a couple of them over the summer, but it’s definitely not the same considering how frequently I see them during the semester. Getting to live with my best friends and just down the street from others is an unmatched experience that I try not to take for granted. Instead of driving across state lines to see them, I just walk downstairs! 

Although I love being home, I really missed all of my UMass essentials and am so happy to be back! I’m going to enjoy all of my favorite things here as much as I can since this is my last year (trying not to cry while writing this). I also am hopefully going to explore campus even more and take advantage of all the amazing things UMass has to offer!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Emma Larivee

U Mass Amherst '24

Emma is a Senior Communication major and Business minor at UMass, with an interest in Social Media Marketing. In her free time, she loves spending time with her family, her two dogs, Mac and Daisy, and reading. She also loves to listen to music, specifically Harry Styles, the Jonas Brothers and Taylor Swift.