Feature Hero Zodiac Spending Hero
Feature Hero Zodiac Spending Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

The Rising Sign: An Astrological Break Down of Its Significance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Obsessed with endlessly scrolling through astrology memes on Instagram? Here’s more on the rising sign!

The rising sign, also known as the ascendant sign, is part of the big three family which includes your sun sign and moon sign. This particular sign, I’ve noticed, gets much less traction on social media than it should! Astrologers typically use the rising sign to understand crucial elements in your life because it determines the placement of 12 divisions on the zodiac known as houses. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Do you enjoy a systematic life approach or are you a spontaneous soul? Think you’re such a Maeve Wiley?

The rising sign is an expression of the answer to these questions: a representation of your social identity, physical appearance, physical body, and inner perceptions. Since your rising sign includes expression of both your inner world and how you perceive yourself in your outer world, it is responsible for being the judge of how balance is maintained between your 12 houses. 

Called the “front door” or the “social mask,” the rising sign denotes your ruling planet as well. Planetary activity, thus, can help you pick and choose an ideal time for all the big moments that relate to your personality. From trying out a new beauty treatment to acing a job interview, planetary motion and movement will judge an ideal time when your social expression shines brightest and undesirable circumstances are kept at bay. Because astrologers know the connection between your rising sign and how you display your personality, it will aid in their understanding of which crystals, rituals, rings, beads, and even meditation techniques work for you. This will make sure that your rising sign does its job well of balancing the environment around you.

cards and stationary with magnifying glass
Photo by Melissa Constandse

Finding your rising sign

To understand your rising sign, you need to begin by getting to know yours. This is the easiest and most fun aspect of astrology. One crucial ingredient is required: your birth time. This is essential because the rising sign changes every two hours. Now you might be thinking: I’ll snatch the parent that’s easily available and rely on their memory of my birth, a conversation that’s going to tumble down into them gushing about you as a baby, your childhood years, and how you’ve grown up so much. 

As heartfelt as that conversation might be, instead, I recommend getting hold of the “long-form birth certificate.” The formatting of birth certificates differs from state to state in the United States, so this might be a better route to follow. Now that you have your birth time, simply make your way to either Astro.com or Cafe Astrology for a deep dive into your personalized chart! 

An important aspect to remember is that the sun, moon, and rising sign complement each other. My Pisces sun can explain why I’m a creative person, drawn to people, and highly in touch with my emotional side. The Aquarius moon enhances my need for individuality. Being a Scorpio rising helps me be analytical about my environment and introspect on my thoughts and behaviors. These do define me, however, I might not relate to these characteristics every single day. If you feel that you are unhappy with what your sign says about you or find it difficult to resonate with and understand your astrological self, know that there are several other factors at play!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Rhea Mukherjee

U Mass Amherst '24

Rhea Mukherjee is a junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is majoring in Psychology and double minoring in English and Biology. A people's person, Rhea has a deep passion for mental health, awareness and adolescent wellness. When she's not nose-deep in work, you can find her strumming her ukulele, reading memoirs or writing poetry!